Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the lactose intolerance test this morning. Surprised that there were 16 oz versus 8 oz of liquid to drink in 5 minutes. It didn't taste bad, but man am I suffering today. Within 20 minutes I had to rush to the restroom for the big D. I cramped and cramped until I got home 2 1/2 hours later to my heating pad. Then came the really BIG D! I don't think I have ever, EVER, gone that much at once. I wasn't aware that there could be such a reaction. I have felt rather ill, hot and cold, feverish, and weak all over. I am sure getting 8 viles of blood taken didn't help my 95 pound body. It has now been almost 12 hours since I drank the substance but I still feel nauseated and gassy, Is it normal to feel like this? I also had my blood drawn for Celiac and D-Xylose. That also was a misunderstanding for me. I thought you had to drink a substance for this test. They told me they were just taking a serum sample. Confused in the medical testing world. Thanks for any insight. 2ndChance

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I am sure getting 8 viles of blood
The modern version of the lactose intolerance (really maldigestion) test does not involve taking blood. The results would not be that reliable. On top of that an LI test wouldn't tell you much since it's IBS that causes symptoms not lactose.The D-xylose test does not involve blood either. The celiac antibody tests do involve blood, but couldn't be more than three vials.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I am sure getting 8 viles of blood
The modern version of the lactose intolerance (really maldigestion) test does not involve taking blood. The results would not be that reliable. On top of that an LI test wouldn't tell you much since it's IBS that causes symptoms not lactose.The D-xylose test does not involve blood either. The celiac antibody tests do involve blood, but couldn't be more than three vials.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flux, I appreciate your response, but am now feeling even more confused. So what you are saying is that this test I took today is not reliable and that my gastro doc that I have been waiting to see for two months has ordered tests that are unreliable? I must confess that my doctor isn't from Cedar Sanai, but to my knowledge he is a reputable gastro doc in my area. It bothers me to know that these tests that I have been waiting for, for an extended period of time, would be pointless. I read up on the lactose intolerance tests on the internet and elsewhere and have seen that you are to drink the substance I drank, and then have blood drawn every 30 min for 2 hours to determine levels (you should know the scientific names)to determine the lactose intolerance. As far as the celiac tests, I assumed that only 1 vile was drawn as I had 3 viles taken before I drank the substance and then 4 more after. I am mostly concerned with why I am feeling so bad after drinking the lactose drink and if that is a normal reaction. I wish I could concern myself of whether or not the tests are accurate but I can't at this point. My home based biz does not provide insurance, my husband is in the military, and I was lucky to see the doc I saw. I have to have some faith that he knows what he is doing. Thanks again for your insight. 2ndChance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flux, I appreciate your response, but am now feeling even more confused. So what you are saying is that this test I took today is not reliable and that my gastro doc that I have been waiting to see for two months has ordered tests that are unreliable? I must confess that my doctor isn't from Cedar Sanai, but to my knowledge he is a reputable gastro doc in my area. It bothers me to know that these tests that I have been waiting for, for an extended period of time, would be pointless. I read up on the lactose intolerance tests on the internet and elsewhere and have seen that you are to drink the substance I drank, and then have blood drawn every 30 min for 2 hours to determine levels (you should know the scientific names)to determine the lactose intolerance. As far as the celiac tests, I assumed that only 1 vile was drawn as I had 3 viles taken before I drank the substance and then 4 more after. I am mostly concerned with why I am feeling so bad after drinking the lactose drink and if that is a normal reaction. I wish I could concern myself of whether or not the tests are accurate but I can't at this point. My home based biz does not provide insurance, my husband is in the military, and I was lucky to see the doc I saw. I have to have some faith that he knows what he is doing. Thanks again for your insight. 2ndChance

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Using blood samples is an old and relatively unreliable method for measuring LI. The "modern" test uses breath samples. Your doctor for some reason is using a method that more than 20 years old!However, all that test would tell you is how much lactose you absorb. Rigorous studies of people who don't absorb lactose seem to show the normal amounts consumed in a Western diet are not the source of intestinal symptoms. So to me the test has limited usefulness.The D-xylose test involves taking a urine sample after consuming D-xylose sugar. It is very reliable indicator of malabsorption. The celiac antibody blood tests are when combined and performed correctly a relatively reliable way of way of testing for celiac disease.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Using blood samples is an old and relatively unreliable method for measuring LI. The "modern" test uses breath samples. Your doctor for some reason is using a method that more than 20 years old!However, all that test would tell you is how much lactose you absorb. Rigorous studies of people who don't absorb lactose seem to show the normal amounts consumed in a Western diet are not the source of intestinal symptoms. So to me the test has limited usefulness.The D-xylose test involves taking a urine sample after consuming D-xylose sugar. It is very reliable indicator of malabsorption. The celiac antibody blood tests are when combined and performed correctly a relatively reliable way of way of testing for celiac disease.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Flux, Just wanted to let you know that my lab results came back from their LI testing methods. According to them, I tested positive and in their opinion, I am considered LI. They also admitted to the mistake of not doing the D-Xylose test. I am to go back for the 5 hour test as soon as I can. Still weak and ill today so I am saving the test for when I recoup. Just thought I would let you know that they didn't do the Xylose test, just as I suspected and you suspected as well. We shall see.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Flux, Just wanted to let you know that my lab results came back from their LI testing methods. According to them, I tested positive and in their opinion, I am considered LI. They also admitted to the mistake of not doing the D-Xylose test. I am to go back for the 5 hour test as soon as I can. Still weak and ill today so I am saving the test for when I recoup. Just thought I would let you know that they didn't do the Xylose test, just as I suspected and you suspected as well. We shall see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts