Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who's had a lactose tolerance test please tell me what goes on? Do you have to eat things that make you sick before hand??Milk, cheese etc? Any prep involved? What do you have to drink when you get there?What's it taste like ? does it make you have diarrhea just as if you've had dairy foods??I'm going to be in this study on this new drug alosetram and the girl says I have to have this test and that makes me nervous. If I could eat these kinds of things I wouldn't have IBS!!!

G

·
Hi Judy! I had a Lactose Test done last year. I can't recall any prep beforehand. What happens is you're given a drink upon your arrival. The drink consists of something that will promote an attack if you are lactose. (The drink is not pleasant tasting but manageable.) After your drink, your blood is tested at 15-minute intervals for about 1 1/2 hours. Somehow, they test the elevation of enzymes to determine a percentage which tells them the degree of lactose intolerance. Now, while all these blood tests are being taken, my advice to you is to seat yourself close to a restroom. Also, seek out an alternate restroom in case the closest one is occupied. I'm glad I did. I was in there nearly the entire 1 1/2 hours with extreme cramping and D. I can't recall the actual percentage that my test showed but my doctor said it was just over the borderline. I can't imagine what the impact would be for someone with a high level of Lactose Intolerance. Good luck to you with your test. Please let me know how you made out. Take care.------------------

G

·
I had the test done about 8 yrs ago and after reading Tricia's post, I guess the only thing I remember is that it did take 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. Fortunately, I was not lactose intolerant and didn't have all the other side effects. Maybe you won't either so try not to be nervous about taking the test. Good luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had the lactose intolerance test about 2 years ago. I believe I had to fast before the test, which took place about 8am and, for me, lasted about 3 hours. I had to drink a liquid and then had to breathe into some container every fifteen minutes. The nurse told me that within the first half hour the figures shot up so high they knew I was intolerant. I had to drive home after the test and had a lot of gas and bloating which lasted for a day or so and a bit of diarhhea. That was the last time I had dairy products. To make you laugh -- I had a doctor while in DC who asked if I was lactose intolerant (this was before I had the above test). When I said he didn't know, he advised me to drink 2 glasses of milk and if they didn't bother me, I was okay. Actually, at that time, they didn't bother me but when I told my later doctor about it I think he went into shock. Some gastroenterologists aren't very smart. I think we know more than they do most of the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.