Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sooo confused! I went to Dairy Queen about 3 hours ago, didn't have any lactaid pills with me but decided on having a hot fudge sunday anyways and expecting to be in pain in an hour or so. It's been 3 hours so far and no pain, now I wonder if it's the eggs that was hurting me and not lactose, I will have to drink a big glass of milk later to see. Would I be in pain from lactose in 3 hours or would it take longer? I've been taking lactaid pills for a few years now, maybe for nothing! Maybe I just didn't take in enough lactose to cause pain. I am definately sure that I can't eat eggs, tried it as an experiment and suffered for days, i'm not sure about the lactose anymore.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: Would I be in pain from lactose in 3 hours or would it take longer?
LI shouldn�t really cause pain and what you consumed probably wouldn�t cause any symptoms from the lactose it contained.A tall glass of milk is not enough lactose to test intolerance. You should try for four!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gas pains started last night at around 5:00. I thought I would get away with it but didnt't. I feel ok now but I'll pass on the ice cream next time. I don't think I have lactose intolerance really because usually lactose would cause diarhea in lactose intolerant people right? Srawberries, eggs,milk,grapes does the same thing, it causes gas, I get bloated, distension, pain. Whatever it is I don't really know, all I know is that If I eat these foods my intestines hurts, so I'll just have to avoid them.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I cna't say of course if it's lactose intolerance. But I do not always get diarrhea. in fact, its more likely to be cramps and gas and only if it's really bad do I get diarrhea from lactose. It could also have been the high fat in the ice cream that upset your stomach. I rarely eat regular ice cream anymore just for that reason. although I got lucky last night and ate some (after taking lactaid) and was fine. nancy

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
With my lactose intolerance I get the bloating and D. Sometime it is right away and sometimes it takes a bit. I find things with higher fat content in them (eg homogenized milk compared to skim) cause faster reactions in me than the other.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: find things with higher fat content in them (eg homogenized milk compared to skim) cause faster reactions in me than the other.
That is not lactose intolerance.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Flux...don't go there....I have the medical proof to back the fact I am lactose intolerant. I am just giving MY experience with it. I did misread something though, I had it backwards, higher fat content lesser lactose problems. I don't know why my body has more problems with higher fat content...maybe since I had my gallbladder out.In regards to what you have said to others about 1 glass not being enough, and that it should not cause pain: http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pub...ose/lactose.htm "Common symptoms include nausea, cramps, bloating, gas, and diarrhea, which begin about 30 minutes to 2 hours after eating or drinking foods containing lactose. The severity of symptoms varies depending on the amount of lactose each individual can tolerate""For example, one person may suffer symptoms after drinking a small glass of milk, while another can drink one glass but not two. Others may be able to manage ice cream and aged cheeses, such as cheddar and Swiss, but not other dairy products. Dietary control of lactose intolerance depends on each person's learning through trial and error how much lactose he or she can handle"And another: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/4664/moreli.html "Level of Lactose Intolerance varies from person to person. Some people with mild LI can drink several tall glasses of milk before experiencing discomfort. Others, with more severe LI, may experience distress after merely having a slice of chocolate cake. It all depends on how much of the lactase enzyme your body produces. Unless you're willing to commit to a dairy-free diet (not necessarily recommended), you will want to experiment with your diet to discover your threshold for lactose consumption"This is opposite of my experiences, but worth the quote: http://www.nomilk.com/eagan.shtml " highly recommend the book "No Milk Today: How to Live With Lactose Intolerance" (Steve Carper, Simon & Schuster, Inc., 1986 ISBN 0-671-60301-0). I found it at my local library. It's an excellent book for explaining the process, describing hidden sources of lactose (like whey), and tips on eating out. In regards to the fat content and lactose level I quote from page 119 of the book:>Foods with high milk fat tend to be lower in lactose than other milk >products. Heavy cream is lower in lactose than light cream, which in >turn is lower than whole milk. Butter is higher in fat than any of >these, and in turn is the lowest in lactose"From the same site...maybe this explains what I thought since the yogurt is what I based mine thought on:"Not everyone will be so lucky. A lot of people will remain lactase deficient. Yogurt and aged cheeses are more easily tolerated because some of the lactose has been converted to lactic acid. One rule of thumb is that the higher the fat content of the dairy product, the lower the lactose level. People who are still producing some lactase would then be able to eat a very rich ice cream but would be bothered by skim milk or ice milk."Here is a good fact stuff too: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/s...per/percent.htm

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Flux...don't go there....I have the medical proof to back the fact I am lactose intolerant.
It�s not easy for a person to know this. How do you know?
quote:I don't know why my body has more problems with higher fat content...maybe since I had my gallbladder out.
It�s evidence that lactose is not your problem, though.
quote:In regards to what you have said to others about 1 glass not being enough, and that it should not cause pain: http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pub...ose/lactose.htm
This is, in fact, correct. You have to be careful about trusting information you get on the Internet. Even sites that are supposed to be reliable are not always. Ironically, the site actually has paid for the research that majorly contradicts this document. That it contains such misinformation probably has more to do with government bureaucracy than a site than anything else. That is, the writer of the article may not even be aware that his organization has researched the subject!
quote:This is opposite of my experiences, but worth the quote: http://www.nomilk.com/eagan.shtml Here is a good fact stuff too: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/s...per/percent.htm
Both sites are quite biased and contain a lot of misinformation.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
**Yawn** Flux, get a better story. You don't know me anymore than I know you. Stop your damn telling people what they have and don't have until you have your medical degree, a look at a person's medical records AND a first hand examination of someone. You say the internet is full of biased knowledge, yeah it is, you are a great example. You dislike ANYONE being able to have an imformed opinion different from your's, be it me or anyone who may have the education or experience to back up what they say. Almost all of the lactose interant sites on the internet say exactly what I have quoted in my post, as well as doctor's I have gone to. Because being lactose intolerant is a fairly "new" thing people are becoming aware of, sure there will be differing views. But you know what, I gave MY experience of MY lactose intolerance and quoted some good websites that have helped me along. That is what Jo-Jo asked for. I'm sorry Jo-jo for this. I am sick of Flux and his demeaning of anyone not "perfect" like him. You can look through the information I gave if you wish.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Almost all of the lactose interant sites on the internet say exactly what I have quoted in my post, as well as doctor's I have gone to. Because being lactose intolerant is a fairly "new" thing people are becoming aware of, sure there will be differing views.
You have it reversed. LI is a very old idea. What's new that it doesn't cause the problems these Internet sites or doctors claim it does. That was the old thinking. It takes time for the latest information to be adopted.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
While it is true that there are new studies that even moderate doses of lactose doesn't cause problems like flux says, it is also true that the studies were done on too small a number of people to generalize to the whole population. But the studies were real eye openers and challenge the notion that small doses of lactose cause problems

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:it is also true that the studies were done on too small a number of people to generalize to the whole population.
The numbers are, in fact, significant enough to draw this conclusion for adults on a Western diet.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Just like a food allergy, being lactose intolerant is personal. On a few of the websites I visited, even the minute ammount of lactose in birth control pills can cause a reaction in some (albeit few) people. The reason I called it "new" is that it has been here for a long time, but more people are becoming aware of the problem and being diagnosed with it. (or at the very least seeing a co-relation b/t milk, lactose, and GI problems)

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:t was very informative
Don't mean misinformative?
quote:Just like a food allergy, being lactose intolerant is personal. On a few of the websites I visited, even the minute ammount of lactose in birth control pills can cause a reaction in some (albeit few) people.
LI is not like a food allergy. The reactions people are claiming are not related to lactose.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Hi flux! I knew the discussion on that other thread was not complete! In that particular study there were only 19 maldigesters who self reported LI on whom the study was done, if my memory serves me right. That is hardly enough to generalize to all adults on a Western diet. When I get back to the States I can try to give you a formula on what the sample size should have been.I don't know in which sense you mean 'significant'. Is that a statistical concept for sample size?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:In that particular study
With one study, I'd agree, but we have four now from Levitt and there are a few others too all with the same result.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.