Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all - I wanted to post the results from my 2 lactulose breath tests to see how my results compared to others'. I have no idea whether my results are better/worse than anyone else. For example, per the below, in the first test my 90 minute reading was 135 ppm, is that super high, or not that high? So here they are...let me know what you think and, if you've had the test, how your results compared. Also, if you have any thoughts on what I should do, that would be particularly useful! A round of Xifaxan (14 days) did nothing for me, so now I'm not sure what to do. Plus, I thought SIBO had a "double peak" - mine appears to only have one peak (?). First test results from 5/14/09Peak response (?): 103 ppmBaseline: 1 ppm15 minutes: 2 ppm30 minutes: 4 ppm45 minutes: 52 ppm60 minutes: 104 ppm90 minutes: 135 ppm120 minutes: 126 ppmDoctor's report: "In the determination of bacterial overgrowth using lactulose, the general guideline is as follows. A biphasic pattern in breah hydrogen levels may be observed (2 peaks) though the 2 peaks may merge as an early plateau. An early increase of at least 12 ppm followed by a second much larger peak after 1 hour would indicate a positive test for bacterial overgrowth. The results suggest a positive test for bacterial overgrowth (Delta value: 104 ppm hydrogen within 60 minutes). However, the hydrogen pattern suggests that the lactulose has entered the colon; which is contingent on intestinal transit. Additional breath collections would have clarified the matter. Clinical correlation is recomended."Then took 3 weeks of Xifaxan. No improvement in symptoms (sticky loose stools, diarrhea, gas, general feeling of fatigue and lack of energy, etc.)Repeated test on 10/14/09 (several months after taking Xifaxan) at a different hospital. Results given in different format:Baseline H2: 6 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.0615 minutes H2: 5 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.1330 minutes H2: 13 Methane: 2 CO2: 3.945 minutes H2: 38 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.1360 minutes H2: 56 Methane: 2 CO2: 3.6175 minutes H2: 69 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.3190 minutes H2: 85 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.39105 minutes H2: 85 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.27120 minutes H2: 84 Methane: 2 CO2: 3.82135 minutes H2: 78 Methane: 2 CO2: 3.96150 minutes H2: 78 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.11I do not know if the H2 readings from this test are comparable to the PPM readings from the previous test. If they are, then it would appear that I improved from the previous test, but not enough to get to a normal level of <20 ppm. However, I do not know if these H2 readings are PPM or not. Doctor's report: "Early (30 minutes) and marked rise in hydrogen after lactulose drink diagnostic for small bowel bacterial overgrowth. Markedly elevated hydrogen 60 to 150 minutes after lactulose drink also suggest abnormal carbohydrate fermentation by abnormal colonic microbiota."Help! My doctors just want to do nortriptyline and/or Questran (chlorestyramine) to try to alleviate symptoms, but those won't address the problem if they even work at all. I've heard of Vivonex but am scared of long-term consequences...

·
Registered
55 Posts
What long term consequences are you concerned about from Vivonex? I'm currently on Vivonex (day 8) and besides problems with aspartame I didn't know there were any long-term problems that could occur.
Hi all - I wanted to post the results from my 2 lactulose breath tests to see how my results compared to others'. I have no idea whether my results are better/worse than anyone else. For example, per the below, in the first test my 90 minute reading was 135 ppm, is that super high, or not that high? So here they are...let me know what you think and, if you've had the test, how your results compared. Also, if you have any thoughts on what I should do, that would be particularly useful! A round of Xifaxan (14 days) did nothing for me, so now I'm not sure what to do. Plus, I thought SIBO had a "double peak" - mine appears to only have one peak (?). First test results from 5/14/09Peak response (?): 103 ppmBaseline: 1 ppm15 minutes: 2 ppm30 minutes: 4 ppm45 minutes: 52 ppm60 minutes: 104 ppm90 minutes: 135 ppm120 minutes: 126 ppmDoctor's report: "In the determination of bacterial overgrowth using lactulose, the general guideline is as follows. A biphasic pattern in breah hydrogen levels may be observed (2 peaks) though the 2 peaks may merge as an early plateau. An early increase of at least 12 ppm followed by a second much larger peak after 1 hour would indicate a positive test for bacterial overgrowth. The results suggest a positive test for bacterial overgrowth (Delta value: 104 ppm hydrogen within 60 minutes). However, the hydrogen pattern suggests that the lactulose has entered the colon; which is contingent on intestinal transit. Additional breath collections would have clarified the matter. Clinical correlation is recomended."Then took 3 weeks of Xifaxan. No improvement in symptoms (sticky loose stools, diarrhea, gas, general feeling of fatigue and lack of energy, etc.)Repeated test on 10/14/09 (several months after taking Xifaxan) at a different hospital. Results given in different format:Baseline H2: 6 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.0615 minutes H2: 5 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.1330 minutes H2: 13 Methane: 2 CO2: 3.945 minutes H2: 38 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.1360 minutes H2: 56 Methane: 2 CO2: 3.6175 minutes H2: 69 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.3190 minutes H2: 85 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.39105 minutes H2: 85 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.27120 minutes H2: 84 Methane: 2 CO2: 3.82135 minutes H2: 78 Methane: 2 CO2: 3.96150 minutes H2: 78 Methane: 2 CO2: 4.11I do not know if the H2 readings from this test are comparable to the PPM readings from the previous test. If they are, then it would appear that I improved from the previous test, but not enough to get to a normal level of <20 ppm. However, I do not know if these H2 readings are PPM or not. Doctor's report: "Early (30 minutes) and marked rise in hydrogen after lactulose drink diagnostic for small bowel bacterial overgrowth. Markedly elevated hydrogen 60 to 150 minutes after lactulose drink also suggest abnormal carbohydrate fermentation by abnormal colonic microbiota."Help! My doctors just want to do nortriptyline and/or Questran (chlorestyramine) to try to alleviate symptoms, but those won't address the problem if they even work at all. I've heard of Vivonex but am scared of long-term consequences...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.