Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...trying again with the lactulose, a dose at approx 5pm and another at approx 9pm (or 2 doses more or less one after the other). this morning had a relatively normal BM...but there is so much stuff backup up higher up...in pain and very very uncomfortable.Is anyone out there taking lactulose, how much, and also do you take something else with it?Tonight I am thinking of taking a third dose, OR a couple of Dulcolax on top of the lactulose in the hopes that tomorrow I will get rid of the "lumps" in there and be able to breathe and function better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I take lactulose, one that comes like a syrup. It says 15ml is the minimun dose and 60 ml maximum. I used to do OK with the minimum until this recent IBS flare-up. I'm currently taking 30ml at night and it does the job. But this was after the doctor gave me a golytely cleanse. I also take a spoon of olive oil on an empty stomach (not as bad as it sounds), 4-5 prunes, some psyllium and I don't do starches or dairy. I think lactulose is not enough to take care of serious backed up stuff, but it's good for maintenance. I'd probably add one day a dulcolax to get things going and then continue with the lactulose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always take it at night, about 3 hours before bedtime. I am sleepy at that time anyway. It does make me feel bloated and gassy, and a couple of hours after I take it I pass a lot of gas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts