Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently laid off from Motorola. I was happy there only had to work 3 days a week.Now I have started a new job. All the anxiety made me nauses so I didnt eat the first day ....second day 15 minutes into **** there goes my stomach. My D has been under control pretty much unitl now. So here I sit at home when I should be at work.Anyone get nervous alot ?? Take anything for it ?? Hows it working ??

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
There are medications that can be used for anxiety (you can talk to the doctor about them...generally one of the anti-depressants is used for long-term control and sometimes some people can use short-term tranquilizer drugs for attacks. The tranquilizers can be addictive so may not be for everyone). Additionally there are good techniques for managing the anxiety without drugs particularly Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.Anxiety and IBS tend to set each other off so doing something to get the anxiety under control will be quite useful in controlling the IBS.Additionally antideprssants and CBT are used to control IBS so it could be a two-for one shot.Imodium can be used for IBS diarrhea safely over extended periods of time and may be useful for you as well. Imodium is over the counter. You may need to experiment to find a dose that works for you, and some people find that low doses daily can prevent attacks. K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried Immodium once , sent me to the can a couple more times. I useually use Pepto - pills but I have noticed if your gonna have an attack (severe) its gonna happen.I am just sick of the nervousness and anxiety causing it.

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Make an appointment with your doctor. Set up a treatment plan for the anxiety. There are a number of things you can do, but working with the doctor (to get good recommendations for therapists in the area and to talk about various medications available that may be appropriate) is the place to start.If you won't go to the doctor (and/or only useless ones are in your area). Check out the CBT, anxiety and hypnotherapy part of the board (use the Hop to scroll bar or the bulliten board in the blue menu bar and then enter that forum). Alot of people find that Mike's tapes help with their anxiety as well as their IBS and you can read about their stories there.K------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 06-05-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.