Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would keep a few of you updated on my recent happenings..To other, briefly, took the Cedar-Sinai Breath Test and came home with a dose of antibiotics, Came back the next month and took another course of antibiotics. With both I notice no difference....I spoke to Cedar-Sinai doctor today on the phone and then next suggested step for me is to take 14 days of the "all fluid" diet of Vivonex(spelled wrong?)....I am going to wait to take it until June, when I feel that I can "prepare" myself for it.....I am not too optimistic at it, but don't knock me for trying...When you are desperate, you will try desperate things.In the meantime, I saw a more local doctor. Although my tests are showing normal for both stool and blood tests, he thought it might be worth taking a trial dose of the meds to treat people with Chron's, since I am in so much pain...Not to hopeful about that either but it would be great if it actually "worked" for me..

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for showing,My symptoms however are not so much diarhea, mine is chronic mid-upper abdominal pain.....

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Shelly, now you have me confused. Did you read the article? Also, aren't you being treated for BO of the small bowel with anti-bioctics?Do either of these fit at all?"Functional Chest Pain Sometimes patients have pain in their chest that is not like heartburn (no burning quality) and that may be confused with pain from the heart. If you are over 50 years of age, your doctor will always want to first find out if there is anything wrong with your heart, but in many cases the heart turns out to be healthy. In many patients with this kind of pain and no heart disease, the pain comes from spastic contractions of the esophagus or increased sensitivity of the nerves in the esophagus or a combination of muscle spasm and increased sensitivity. The test which is used to find out if this is the cause, is esophageal manometry - the same test described above to investigate symptoms of food sticking in the chest. Ambulatory pH studies may also be used to see if gastroesophageal reflux may be the cause of the chest pain.""Functional dyspepsia Many patients have pain or discomfort which is felt in the center of the abdomen above the belly button. Some examples of discomfort that is not nonpainful are fullness, early satiety (feeling full soon after starting to eat), bloating, or nausea. There is no single motility disorder that explains all these symptoms, but about a third of patients with these symptoms have delayed gastric emptying (usually not so severe that it causes frequent vomiting), and about a third show a failure of the relaxation of the upper stomach following a swallow (abnormal gastric accommodation reflex). About half of the patients with these symptoms also have a sensitive or irritable stomach which causes sensations of discomfort when the stomach is filled with even small volumes. A gastric emptying study (see above) can show whether there is poor emptying of the stomach. The other motility disorders are more difficult to detect, but scientists have developed a computer-controlled pump called the barostat which can show (1) whether the upper stomach relaxes adequately during eating and (2) how much filling of the stomach it takes to cause pain or discomfort.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had horrible upper mid-abdominal pain, too. It took them forever to diagnose me (with H. Pylori and a duodenal ulcer) and I just wanted to tell you that during the year they were trying to figure out what was going on, they put me on Librax for the pain. It worked wonderful. Have you tried an anti-spas med yet? I also used Bentyl and that worked just as well.I feel bad that you are suffering and hope you get some relief soon.Stacey

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would try the liquid diet and if that doesn't work, I would try either a tricyclic or SSRI antidepressent. I think the antidepressent will really make a difference based on your symptoms(not because your depressed but because they treat hypersensitivity)Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete,That is what my local doctor suggested doing...I remember you emailing me before about it and he was thinking about giving it a try in a while after they have "tried" some other ideas...I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Vivonex(spelled wrong?)
Vivonex consists of raw amino acids which smells and tastes like burnt flesh. It wouldn't be easy for you to consume it by mouth. It is almost always given by tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.