Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am IBS-C. I have learned about and tried many "things" talked about in posts to get rid of and control constipation. I have spent a fortune and nothing really helps long term. Recently, I used "Experience". It worked really well, but caused extreme gas. When my doctor looked over the ingredients he noted that some of them were related to Senna. Senna is considered a laxative. If so, iss Experience a laxative?I quit taking "Experience" due to the horrid gas. The severe constipation is back. I stopped at the Health Food Store near me. The clerk suggested quite a few products. After reading the ingredients and directions I am beginning to wonder if the only difference between herbal supplements and laxatives is that laxatives have been OKed by the FDA?What is the story, anyways?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Patsy, I don't know if this helps but there is a new prescription laxative out from Miralax. Its new I think and something to ask your doctor about for temporary relief of C. Its not a long term solution I don't think though and you should ask your doctor about it like I said. http://www.miralax.com/index3.htm ------------------ http://www.ibshealth.com/ www.ibsaudioprogram.com

G

·
Many herbal products are actually laxative, including senna and cascara sagrada. That's not to say you should never take them. I'm a firm believer that if it's been several days and you are very uncomfortable, it's time to take something you know will work. The only thing you should not do is take them all the time. That would cause dependence and then they would stop working.On the other hand, Miralax is considered a laxative but I've been told both by the company and by my doctors that I can take it long term. It doesn't do much for me except soften, but in conjunction with sprouted grain bread I am now going virtually every day, which has never happened before in my life. I highly recommend this combo, but be sure to give it several weeks to start working if you try it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! I called the doctor and asked that he call Miralax in for me. Does it cause gas or alot of activity in the intestines? Is it expensive?I am leaving for a bus trip to New York on Friday for the weekend. Should I wait until I get back to try it?Me worying about having to "go" on a bus is almost laughable.

G

·
Hi Patsy,Miralax hasn't caused any gas for me. It takes a few days to start working, so if you are leaving soon, there is no problem. Also, I didn't really have any urgency when it kicked in, just felt like I had to go. You should know that some people here have had no success with it, and the normal dose did nothing for me, so I take a double dose every day, which my doctor okayed. So be patient, and if the regular dose doesn't work, ask your doctor about taking twice as much. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Patsy:I have been using Experience for many years and love it to death. It does cause gas initially (sometimes!!) because its a herbal enzyme-based cleanser and as its cleaning out impacted stuff there is a little gas as its moving out. Its air pockets, etc. but it passes as things move along so you need to be consistent in taking the product and drinking your water so that you can complete the cleansing process. Don't panic - just be consistent. As far as being dependent, I don't always need to take a capsule now but some days I take one or two, and it feels great the next day to feel emptier. Any other questions, don't be shy to email me directly.Josee

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just wanted to share that Miralax works wonders for me (primarily IBS-C). I tried all kinds of fiber supplements, but Miralax has been the only thing that works.No gas, no bloating...just going every day regularly.My Dr. says it's ok to take long-term.Good luck,JK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts