Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBS for about 2 years now (that I've been diagnosed). I have ONLY C IBS and have taken laxatives fir this entire time period. I have been prescribed everything from doctors, including Miralax (and have taken larger doses) but nothing seems to work other than stimlulant laxatives (biscodyl/correctol). I have built quite a tolerance to these, as you could guess, and can take up to 6+ at a time. I hat doing this, but I hate being constipated more. I have read about a lazy bowel and am afraid I probably have this or would if I stopped taking these. Is there some way I can retrain my body to go by itself without feeling sick? I've tried not to take them, but after 5 days of not going, I HAVE to for relief. I don't want to be dependant on these forever. Please help.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Personally, I never minded the idea of using a laxative everyday if I knew it would work, but I didn't want to need more over time in order to have results. I have used milk of magnesia DAILY for the past 3 1/2 years. It has worked okay, but results in more of a C/D IBS than all C (as I was before and would be without M.O.M.). Stimulants don't even work on me! I have become insensitive to pain. It's like a big, giant "blob" of air pressure numbs my abdomen. I still get very bloated and distended a lot. MOM has not lost much effectiveness in the same dose daily. You may want to try it or Haley's MO.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
One of the board members, Roz posted great information on retraining the bowel. I just bumped up her post for you to read.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I've tried MOM in the past (I can actually walk down the 'Laxative' aisle at a drugstore and pretty much know that I've tried everything there), but I think I'll try it again. It seems a little more 'healthy' for the system on a daily basis than those little pink pills. As you stated, nothing actually is a 'cure-all' for IBS. Now if we could just find a way to prevent the B/G.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts