Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a female college student and have always been quite healthy, but a few months ago I started getting diarrhea and exessive gas. I would be in a lecture and suddenly there would be a slight fecal smell which would quickly go away, after this happened a few times I realised it was coming from me. It seemed like the gas was only in the morning though, as I would get it in morning classes but not in the afternoon. I thought it was a passing thing like a mild stomach bug or something, but then my symptoms got worse and I would only have diarrhea then an hour later be desperate to pass another BM, I also developed a strange taste in my mouth that seemed like the smell of my BM and gas, and I started to feel very weak and tired and nauseus and sporadically throwing up. I made an appointment to see my doctor and the night before took one antibiotic I had lying around (Amoxycillin), in the morning I passed another liquid BM but I think I passed a parasite. It came out like a long worm all tangled into a ball and suddenly just came out which made me check what it was and obviously I was mortified to see this whiteish wormlike thing in the toilet. I told my doctor about that and also my symptoms and that my aunt who had been to stay had been treated for Giardia just before she came and my symptoms started just as she left. The doctor gave me a 7 day 400mg 3x a day course of Metronidazole/Flagyl. This made me feel bad but after about 2 days my symptoms were alleviated. No more gas or diarrhea. I developed oral thrush after only a few days on the antibiotics as they were very strong. I treated my oral thrush successfully. After a few weeks of no symptoms my leaky farts have come back but seem to have a more fecal smell that is slightly different to the smell before. I also have a dry mouth and a bitter taste in my mouth which goes gross after eating and my tongue gets lightly coated in either white or a slight yellow tinge, so I think I have oral thrush again. I've also been getting acid reflux, like it just comes into my esophagus a little bit and feels like it's burning mildly in my stomach. I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with me now. I don't have any diarrea or nausea this time though, when I was sick before it was definitely like my body was trying to flush something bad out.I'm sure I must have had a parasite before because we had a woman from Thailand staying with us for a while and she had terrible belching and gas problems. I didn't notice her ever smelling, but I wasn't around her that often. She had the most terrible belching problem though, and would walk around loudly burping constantly, something was definitely very wrong with her digestive system. I don't think her hygiene was that great either, I noticed her doing unhygienic things a few times, so perhaps I picked up a parasite from sharing a handtowel or touching the toilet flusher or something. I'm wondering if now the course of antibiotics left me with some Candida overgrowth which has just gotten worse. I must admit that since being treated for the parasite I haven't had a great diet until recently. Or perhaps I have leaky gut? I'm not sure. I just want to get rid of it because the leaky gas is awful. It seems to disappear as suddenly as it came, but sometimes it's so potent. I feel so selfconcious now and I'm worried I have bad breath too although nobody has ever acted like I do. I don't think I have FBO at all, just this terrible gas leakage. I'm sure I don't have the parasite back again because I don't have the terrible diarrea, my BMs are regular again, and I don't feel nauseus or weak or lightheaded.I was going to start the Candida diet, take Yakult Light daily, and next week when I can afford it buy some probiotic tablets and apple cider vinegar. I've just started taking Nylstatin oral drops for the Candida in my mouth, will this kill the bacteria in my gut too? Can anybody give me any suggestions about this or what might be wrong with me? Also, what should I eat on the Candida diet? I found the internet only told me what not to eat and had a lot of conflicting information. Can I eat lamb and rice and have 2 cups of tea daily? I get migraines so I need to eat substantially and regularly to prevent them, so I'm worried I might find the Candida diet difficult. My heart goes out to everyone on this forum, this is an awful and isolating condition. I wish everyone the best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I should mention that I don't feel the gas coming out but I just suddenly smell it. It smells bad but my BMs and farts don't. I've never been a very gassy person, and when I need to fart and let it out it doesn't smell like the leaky gas does. So I'm thinking the gas is a byproduct or something in my body, like the waste produced by Candida or other bad bacteria or something. Can anybody advise me how to follow the Candida diet correctly and how to take apple cider vinegar to help this?Thanks everyone, best of luck to you all.EDIT: I forgot to mention I've noticed post-nasal drip lately. I had a deviated septum and had that operated on before all of this started, I can breathe better now through both sides but I constantly feel like I'm swalling a lump that's stuck at the back of my throat, I can feel mucous come down from my nose and when I exercise or even run for a minute my nose starts dripping instantly. I read that post-nasal drip is a symptom of Candida, so I'm thinking it is what I have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is sugarfree Jello okay on the candida diet? It has no carbs, sugar or fat. But I'm wondering if some of the chemicals are bad for the candida diet (obviously they aren't exactly good to eat, but will they help the candida grow or anything?). Are sugarfree and low carb lollies okay? I've found a local website that sells sugar free products and I've picked out a few sugarfree and low carb sweet treats I want to order because I just know that my sugar cravings will be the end of my candida diet, otherwise I don't mind all the veges and stuff. If anyone could advise, that would be great!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Just watch some of the sugar free/low carb things load up on sugar alcohols and those can feed bacteria and cause a lot of gas.So anything with -itol.Many of them have enough they have to carry a diarrhea warning as the -itols can also increase diarrhea. I think they are to be avoided on the SIBO diet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I looked it up and read Maltitol and others are bad, but Isomalt is okay on the candida diet. I ordered some butterscotch candies that had Isomalt in them but no other sweeteners, the other ingredients were natural. Hopefully those are ok.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only been doing this for 3 days but today I woke up and my mouth tasted awful, I tested my breath on my hand and it STUNK. I've also noticed that my whole body smells and my BM smelt awful and very potent and it's the same smell. It's not a normal BM smell though, it's terrible. Could this be toxins coming out from dying candida already? I did eat one raw garlic clove crushed up yesterday, but I doubt that could cause such a stink! Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.