Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I've had constipation and bloating issues since early elementary school. I've been going to a nutritionist to help with this (so far, no luck), and she has suggested I get the Leap-MRT test done to discover if I have any food sensitivities. She swears by it, and says many of her patients have seen results. The test is $400, so I don't want to dish out that much money if this thing isn't actually going to be accurate and help. I don't entirely trust everything she says, because I'm also considering being tested for SIBO, and she said that if I figure out what food sensitivies I have, it'll kill off the SIBO. I thought SIBO could be killed off only with antibiotics, peppermint oil, and a low carb diet, so I'm a bit confused as to that. Either way, if any of you have had the LEAP MRT test done, or know of any clinical studies or anything, I'd really appreciate the info!

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is just my two cents on the LEAP MRT testing. There are no peer reviewed journals verifying is validity. I spent $600 on the test last year, went through the diet, etc. I felt somewhat better, but I attributed it towards the fact that I was no longer eating processed foods. Everything you eat is wholesome and clean, so of course most people are going to feel better. The test told me what I was "allergic/sensitive" too, and I only took it with a grain of salt. If you eat a lot of the same foods of course some of it will end up in your blood stream, especially if you have leaky gut. Your body's natural reaction is to say "oh hey you're not a blood cell... BAD BAD" and it mounts a mini-attack. This is at least my explanation of IgE testing. I was "highly reactive" to carrots, which is odd because I eat them every day. Of course it is going to show up on the test, because I know for a fact that I have leaky gut and consume them daily. Avoiding them and replacing them with some other vegetable (for the sake of argument lets say broccoli) and having a retest a few weeks later would likely show I am "highly reactive" to broccoli. Why? Cause I eat it every day. This is normal and expected. The real issue is fixing leaky gut which more and more scientists are beginning to see in actual laboratory tests.

Save your money and stick with verified and science backed treatments. The lesson I learned from the whole ordeal is that: the IgE food sensitivity testing is not accurate, I was desperate for relief, wasted money, and I feel great when I eat wholesome foods. The LEAP dietician also explained to me that FODMAPs were not a problem and was having me eat them during diet rotations. Later breath testing and an elimination diet (actually proven by science) determined that I am unable to digest fructans and fructose efficiently, leading to my digestive distress. So my LEAP dietician was wrong. Because the LEAP protocol worked for her she believed it was the answer for everyone, it's not. We are all different and will find treatments that work for us. I bet the reason she felt better was because she was eating whole foods, not because of IgE testing.

Avoiding your food sensitivities will not kill off SIBO if you have it. For now, the only backed scientific research shows Rifamxin and perhaps enteric coated peppermint oil as being effective. Long term solutions are still being developed but include a low carbohydrate diet (stay away from sugars), a low FODMAP diet, a pro-motility agent, and even low doses of antibiotics to force you into remission. Unfortunately the dx for SIBO is still newer and the protocol for treating it is still in development.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts