Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I filled out the form for LEAP and they did call meas promised, but they said, nope can't help you. Just because I have only been experiencing this everyday for about 3 months now. I told it started about a year ago with occasional D. Not more than once every other month. Then I couldn't eat Burger King or Drink alchol with out getting D. Then I went to Aruba for my Honeymoon, got sick there, then came back and after a week got hit with this "flu" then its been constent every since. The lady from LEAP said it was just a parasite or bacteria infection and they can't help me. I am soooo mad. I have no hope. I know they won't find some parasite and then everything will just magically go back to normal. I have been tested once, but am going back in Sept. to get more testing for parasites. But I mean, what hope do I have. People on here say you don't have a parasite or you'd be sicker and have a fever etc etc. Then the people at LEAP say oh you've been out of the country and it came on too fast, it is a parasite! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I don't understand. No one will take me serious since its "only" been three months of this. So what? I have to suffer for years before anyone will even admit there is something wrong here!? I don't know what to believe. Was the occasionaly D and then intolerance of Burger King and Alchol just a coincidence. Do people without IBS get things like that suddenly? Did I pick up a parasite since the day to day didn't start till right after the trip.....Sara

· Registered
2,203 Posts
Sorry Leap couldnt help you...Have you tried other methods of treatment like medications, hypnotherapy..I dont know alot about parsites but there are many different kinds..With my IBS -D I had to run to the bathroom all the time ..I wasnt lucky enough to get it every other month..but still it dont matter how often you get it it is still a pain...Keep searching for some answers because they will come to you...LEAP has people to fill out the questionaire to make sure they are canidates for the program and not everyone is..If you think food might be causing some of your problem maybe keeping a journal will help you figure out if it is something you are eating..IBS can be associated with alot of other problems besides food sensitivity playing a part in it..But just think you didnt have to waste any money on the test ...Read all you can here on the board and you will find some method of relief..Hang in there and maybe they can check you for bacterial growth

· Registered
1,478 Posts
I agree with Donna that you shouldn't give up hope jsut because LEAP didn't work out - yet. There are other avenues to check out. And to their defense, it is really important to be sure what is causing this. I don't know much about parasites so can't help you there.Have you looked into some other things people have used that have helped out? Calcium for D seems to help amny people. Immodium. Fiber (although in some people that makes it worse). hypno. other medications. also, Donna's idea of a food journal is a good one. Personally, I've never been able to point to a specific food asa trigger. If I'm doing well, I can eat anything. If I'm doing not as well, anything can set me off - although certain foods are more likely than others. good lucknancy

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding Nancy and Donna. I just feel so lost. I have the symptoms everyday now. But not D everyday. I have tried fiber which made it a WHOLE lot worse, Calcium (which was working but just had my worst D day yet while on it) I only take Immodium when necessary (like that day I just mentioned) because I have heard stories of it not working after a while. Really I don't get D that much, just frequency, urgency and constant loose stools. It is driving me crazy... Oh yeah and I have kept a food journal since May. I can't put anything together. Seems like one day I can eat something and then the next day not. This is so confusing and I am starting to feel bad all the time and be mad and depressed. My husband, who I married RIGHT as this was starting, is having a hard time believing me that its not that I am just nervous or whatever. I have developed a fear of him leaving me now, and I feel soooo unsexy as a result of all this aching and constant BM's.... Thanks so much for listening.Sarah

· Registered
2,203 Posts
SarahMaybe Eric will come here and read this because in his story I think his IBS started after a trip to Mexico ...So he might have some insight here for you...Dont let others get to you because for 40 years all i heard was just relax and stop thinking about it
and it will get better...God I hope I never have to listen to that again...Please dont give up because your body is telling you that something is not right..and it isnt in your head
Just the insanity that this illness can cause...try to look at what you might have ate up to 3 days before your attack ..it wouldnt have to be the exact day...Keep pushing the Doctors to test you for any parasites....and you will find the answer

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Sarah, what tests have you had done so far. Roughly about thirty percent of IBSers IBS starts after a a stomach episode of some sort.Mine started after a trip to Mexico where I got ameobic dysentary that almost really killed me it was very severe, from a chlorinated swimming pool.What hhappens is the gut becomes inflammed from the infection, and when the infection goess away your left with IBS and a brain gut dysfunction.Have you had a stool test done? You should have three done and you should also tell your doctor this started after a trip to Aruba.A blood test is also important here.There are things to do and work on so don't lose hope, its just that your in the diagnostic phase which can be very frustrating at first.So I am wondering what tests you have already had done? Some people this happens to clears up on its own in some cases and in some your left with IBS.This is some information on it and its called post infectious IBS. http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/post_infestious.htm

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Eric,I suspected the parasite thing right off the bat as it happened that I got sick on the honeymoon along with my husband (who has a stomach of steel) and then had a week's repreive than it started again and hasn't stopped. But then I wasn't sure cause thinking back I had had periodic D for the year leading up to that, though I was also moving and planning a wedding so I was a little stressed! LOL. SO far I have only been to a general practitioner (who didn't want to refer me for more testing just kept saying IBS go home). I made them refer me and am going to a GI dr. on Sept. 9th. I have had 1. Yes 1, stool culture test. And she did do a blood test but the lab tech. said it was just for anemia. I will certainly push for more parasite testing, I just don't know for sure that is what it is. I seem to have multiple symptoms. Like I have lower stomach pain that almost feels like mentruel (sp??) cramps at times, Loose Stools, urgency, frequent Bm's and some gassiness then sometimes full fledged D. But I also have pain up under my ribcage that I think may be some acid reflux type problem... Its so confusing. I have also considered endometriosis... I just don't have any clue. This is horrible, so many directions to go, and still knowing they may never find the 'cause. I do not feel particullarly sick. I have been very tired, but no fever etc. I also seem to have a few good days then a few bad and back and forth...Sarah

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Sarah, it sounds like IBS which can wax and wane and you may have been predisposed to it beforee aruba and aruba was the final straw.However, its important to have that testing done so you know where to start in treating it. You can also have upper gi problems and IBS and they can sometimes go back and forth on any particullar day, or month etc..Try doing this for two weeks and just see what it does for you as it will only help anyway.Its takes a bit for this to kick in. Its ten relaxtion techniques and some information.It can calm that brain in the gut right now regarless and help you through the testing.IF it is IBS there are things to do right away that will help you a lot further down the road because as IBS sets in, it can take more and more of a tool on your body and thoughts.You need to find out though because you want to treat whatever you have the appropriate way depending on what the problem is that is going on with you.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it does sound like IBS?
I was hoping for a parasite so that it would be something I might actually get rid of.
Now I am more depressed. Ihad hoped it was something I could get rid off. Ihave been reading more and more about parasites though and it does say those symptoms can come and go too. So maybe... Sarah

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Karie- I guess. But I think people with IBS may forget that even "normal" (and I hate to use that term LOL) people may have occasional D or just weak stomachs. As I said before it was maybe once every few months. With no other symptoms, so I really believe that could have been just normal stomach upsets... But really who knows. I guess I will do the parasite testing and if it doesn't find anything than I will chalk it up to a crappy life from now on. Sara

· Registered
824 Posts
My IBS originally started from an infection; I picked up giardia lamblia on my honeymoon. The resultant damage to my intestinal tract is apparently what caused my (several years later) sensitivity to a lot of foods and stuff. But they had to fix the original infection before they could even talk about LEAP or other tests...

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Some people may get food poisoning or some shock to the digestive process to set it in motion.Really its important to get the testing done to be sure, some parasites go into incubation periods.However they do know that anxiety or stressors at the time of infection can help lead to it, so really either way trying not to worry to much may even help you. Stress/anxiety also effects the immune system in a big way. Also, like I said for some people it just goes away out of the blue given some time, hopefully your one of those people. Hence one of the reasons I am saying go the relaxtion route as it may help long term.But the testing is crucial to know what to treat.Sara, I wish you the best with this and I would find a good doctor to work with if you can to really sort it out. Also if you go to a doctor print and take this with you. http://www.AboutDigestion.com/script/main/...rticlekey=13683

· Registered
2,203 Posts
Ok with your responce "guess I will do the parasite testing and if it doesn't find anything than I will chalk it up to a crappy life from now on. "
That is not true you will find the answers you need to get better...RIGHT

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eric- I know of course now the last few days I have been doing well. Everytime I make a dr. appointment my stomach does better LOL. I will try to look into the relaxation techniques. I was thiking of taking up Yoga anyway...OhNoMeToo- Sorry, I'm a little bit of a pessimist if you can't tell. And this whole thing can really get me frustrated.Thank you everyone for the good wishes and advice. I guess I need to keep an open mind and take it one step at a time (not easy for me I am the opposite of a procratonator. I want everything done now!)
Sara

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Sara, on the personal side this is all about balance and patients, which bites because of the frustration at the same time, the fact you felt better in just thinking your seeing a doctor is a good thing .You will find the answers that are right for you, but find a good doctor, get the tests, try to be as calm as possible even acutely calm at the moment, and keep learning because the education is also hugely important to your health, just knowing somethings can make you feel better.hang in there, yoga would be good and you should read and practice this for two weeks for it to really kick in for you. They also help your immune system.Using Relaxation Coping with Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/relax.htm This is on yoga http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/YogaandIBS.htm

· Registered
1,478 Posts
I just want to chime in and agree with ohnometoo - just because you have IBS, you will not automatically have a crappy life. I've had it for over 20 years and would never say I let it run my life. And since coming on here and finding more answers, it's gotten even better. Yes, there are some people who struggle every day, but there are lots of us who don't have to. nancy

· Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with all of this. Please do understand that many of us have been dealing with this for decades so LEAP is probably wanting to make sure it isn't something else more easily fixable. I don't know as much about LEAP as MNL does, but I'm not sure it would be effective if you had another underlying problem like a parasite or infection.Planning a wedding sure can cause extra stress (been there recently myself). It is tough when your guy doesn't understand what you're going through. One of the best things my guy did was learn more about this condition. He even read on here and read about ALL the symptoms when I had been sparing him some of the gross or painful details.If you are having problems in the bedroom, because of your IBS or otherwise, you can discuss that in the adult forum. There is a link in my signature. IBS-D can definitely make it hard to behave like typical newlyweds sometimes!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.