Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS with diarrhea and urgency. Has anyone tried a lectin free diet? It seems a bit crazy. I thought it was just a craze, but then I saw the list of no foods, and all of my known bad foods were on the list. There were some on the bad list that I was still eating. I've only been on it for a week, and for a week it has made a remarkable difference. I'm not holding my breath

Would love to know if anyone else has tried it, and if all this is just in my head. I guess only time will tell.

One side benefit is that I don't get hungry on it and lost 3 pounds this week, I could stand to lose 20 pounds, so that is good.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I tried a low-lectin diet (lectin-free is impossible), I did not see any benefit. Low FODMAP is my go-to diet, although even there you have to be careful with certain low FODMAP foods (like oats, which are high in fiber and in my opinion should be avoided on the low FODMAP diet).

You'll have to give a shot to see how it goes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have IBS with diarrhea and urgency. Has anyone tried a lectin free diet? It seems a bit crazy. I thought it was just a craze, but then I saw the list of no foods, and all of my known bad foods were on the list. There were some on the bad list that I was still eating. I've only been on it for a week, and for a week it has made a remarkable difference. I'm not holding my breath

Would love to know if anyone else has tried it, and if all this is just in my head. I guess only time will tell.

One side benefit is that I don't get hungry on it and lost 3 pounds this week, I could stand to lose 20 pounds, so that is good.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
If you are still around I would love to hear an update on the diet if it has worked for you.
I have the new Dr Gundry, Keto Code book with all the lectin free foods. Possibly this diet will work for me however, all the fiber is making me super gassy, hopefully I will adjust.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I think I've tried just about all the recommendations out there and here is my opinion: Keep a diary of what you eat and drink, very detailed and what time of day, and, during the day, make notes as to how you feel, your gut, etc. Over time, you will see a pattern emerge. For me, anything eaten first thing would trigger D but waiting for an hour or so to eat didn't, even if I ate the same thing. As you note what good or bad foods, for you, are, you can test them. Eat that on a day you plan on being home and see what happens. For me, tomatoes in quantity trigger but in small amounts they do not (I can eat spaghetti or pizza today but not the leftovers tomorrow). Chocolate and coffee kill me, nuts not so much. And so on. I tried the low-lectin and the low fodmap diets, neither was 100% effective, but they did teach me a lot. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Trudyg,

I am finally journaling my diet. It took me years to start to do, I think I was just too frustrated because it seemed everything gave me gas. Now that I know myself better, I can be gas free long enough to be able to tell what I am reacting too and write it down.

It is interesting how the timing of eating affects you.

·
Functional Nutrition Gut Health Coach
103 Posts
Trudyg's advice is spot on. FOr clients who are confused about triggers, I have them complete a food-mood-poop diary, for a while, and looking at the three in combinatoin often shows us what we need to know. When we have enough data we can compare similar instances and see if we can make conclusions about what the triggers were. It's an invaluable tool. Good luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think I've tried just about all the recommendations out there and here is my opinion: Keep a diary of what you eat and drink, very detailed and what time of day, and, during the day, make notes as to how you feel, your gut, etc. Over time, you will see a pattern emerge. For me, anything eaten first thing would trigger D but waiting for an hour or so to eat didn't, even if I ate the same thing. As you note what good or bad foods, for you, are, you can test them. Eat that on a day you plan on being home and see what happens. For me, tomatoes in quantity trigger but in small amounts they do not (I can eat spaghetti or pizza today but not the leftovers tomorrow). Chocolate and coffee kill me, nuts not so much. And so on. I tried the low-lectin and the low fodmap diets, neither was 100% effective, but they did teach me a lot. Good luck.
Trudy have you ever looked into low-histamine diet? The foods you mention that trigger you are histamine releasers, they also trigger me. I have to eat a moderate histamine (or lower) diet, as too many high histamine foods really open the flood gates. They key connection for me was the tomato piece. I've always had issues with tomatoes and tomato sauce and learning about their histamine relation really helped me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts