Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post. I am a 54 year old woman and was first 'diagnosed' with ibs last year after years of constipation. However unlike many sufferers, I experience abdominal pain after a bowel movement, usually at left side waist level or lower. Sometimes the pain moves around. It occurs after many though not all bms. Sometimes the pain is like a stitch and doesnt last long. Other times it is an ache which sets in for hours. The texture of the bm is usually okay (no blood) though the pain is worse if I have to strain, which I try to avoid doing. It is all very annoying and is really affecting my quality of life.I have had a number of tests including a colonoscopy but the only one to come up with anything positive was the hydrogen breath test which indicated that I had a moderate fructose malabsorbtion (54 ppm, whatever that means). I have been on the low fructose FODMAP diet for the last three weeks. For the first couple of weeks it seemed to be working and the pain was less frequent however the pain has come back with a vengeance. I am wondering whether this may be in part caused by progesterone in the HRT patch I have had for the last week. I am trying to get off the HRT but that is another story altogether................I may just need longer on the diet for it to work.Has anyone else have a similar story?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have this also very often esspecially when I have to poop a lot. Sometimes it's also the feeling that there is more stool stuck in the lower left side of the colon. I heard it's typical for IBS to have pain in the lower left side because the sigmoid colon is located there ( that's what my G.I told me). I can't stand this feeling !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.