Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just talking with my aunt and she brought up that shes been drinking hot lemon water after watching Rachael Ray talking about the benefits of it on your digestive system.So I look it up on the internet and I found quite a few sites on it and it seems like its worth a shot. Has anyone heard of this for ibs? My aunt who has IBS-D said that she doesnt get the D every day now like she used to before drinking it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My mom drinks a combo of hot water, lemon and apple cider vinegar every morning. Apparently a soap opera star told some magazine it removes the toxins from the body and keeps her looking young. Mom said she likes it, but didn't mention anything about her stomach, the lucky lady doesn't have IBS. It's worth a try and just hot water and lemon doesn't taste bad at all. Well I know what I am gonna try tomorrow morning :p

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I always thought it was a detox thing and helped you "go" in the morning (much like a coffee does but this is in a healthy way unlike coffee). I've always been too scared to try it although I've heard good things about taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in water daily too (but ugh, the smell). Let us know how you go with this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know it can be calming in general. The temperature really matters for each person; some find hot stimulating, others cold. I've used cool to room temp lemon water to sip on back when I was having frequent nausea and it worked wonders. I would imagine that it has a soothing effect overall on the digestive system, but that's just my personal belief. Will it help IBS-D, certainly worth a few days of trying. We all respond differently to these types of solutions.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My IBS has been acting funny since I had my period on the 20th - no D as of yet, but just gassy and then to add to my discomfort, I ate broccoli stir fry yesterday and been paying since LOL.I'm thinking of trying it next month after my cycle because I usually get one bad month then the next is fine. Right now, lemons are pretty pricey at my local grocery store so I looked to see if you can use the bottled lemon juice and it says not to since its not the same as the fresh lemon juice. I just dont need to go anymore so hopefully its not going to make me go
Edit: My dad also drinks apple cider vinegar and hot tea in the morning for the past 6+ years but still has bouts of IBS. The smell is terrible and he has a weird odor when he drinks it :/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I drank the hot lemon water this morning and so far nothing bad has happened.... nothing miraculous yet either, but oh well
I am definitely going to try it for a few days and let my body adjust to it. I'll let you know how my lemon-water adventure goes!ha... goes, I crack myself up.... sigh, I need more sleep.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep me updated!! My aunt is swearing by it and shes been drinking this stuff for a couple months now. I really want to try this.. Did you look it up on the internet to see how much to drink?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Bitters is another "upset stomach" kind of remedy.also37 Home Remedies for Upset Stomach http://health.howstuffworks.com/home-remed...set-stomach.htmThere is some good basic info there. I didn't see lemon juice on there or Bitter really. I think they help some by reducing stomach acid.These are like basic be nice and take care of your gut info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Osaria,I didn't see any guidelines on how much too drink. I just got some hot water from the campus coffee bar and added lemons to it. I'd guess it was a 16oz cup and I added about 6 lemon slices. Anyone find any guidelines?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I remember correctly from reading an article online, it said if you were <150 lbs you use 1/2 lemon in a 8oz glass of water 2x a day, if you are >150 lbs you use a whole lemon in 8oz glass of water 2x a day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
whoa... had to use those math symbol skills
ok, well I will have a second mug tonight instead of my tea and see how things progress in the next few days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can't drink water unless there's lemon in it now, I think it taste pretty good with lemon or lime squeezed in even if it doesn't have any added health effects it's still worth trying.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I honestly dont know.. My aunt has been on it a couple months and she said her IBS isnt nearly as bad as it was before - she used to go 5-8x a day mostly D. Anything at all different?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No real changes yet. But my diet hasn't been that great
this week. (Refined sugars and such) It is a nice start to my day though and better for me than coffee I am sure. I'll keep trying though. Don't want this bag of lemons to go bad.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I'm going to the grocery tomorrow and buying a bag.. I kicked the caffeine habit in the mornings but somehow I got back into it and my bowels arent liking it LOLHow hot do you warm it up?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts