Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have recurring SIBO, and I'm trying to figure out why. It's come back twice already (after two courses of antibiotics).My GI doctor has encouraged me to ask as many questions as possible in order to help him in treating me.So, I'm trying to figure out every possible cause of SIBO (or reasons the SIBO would recur).physical obstruction in the small intestine (or anywhere else in the lower GI tract)diverticulineurologic/muscular disease (alters normal motility)diabetes mellitusprior GI surgery (gastric bypass, etc)celiac diseasepancreatitissclerodermapast case of food poisoninghypochloridia/achloridia (can be caused by h. pylori, among other things)Anything else I'm missing?So far most of these do not apply to me (were ruled out through diagnostics, bloodwork, etc.)... I have not had an upper GI endoscopy yet, so the h. pylori or anythng originating in the upper GI has not been ruled out yet. My doctor thinks hypochloridia is a long shot (and I agree with him).Just trying to cover everything, so if you guys can think of anything else please add to the list!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you or your physician read Pimentel's book? After completing the antibiotics, did you take anything to enhance motility?
My doctor is familiar with Pimental because he's mentioned him to me before, but I don't if he's read his book. The only thing I've taken (so far) post-ABs is Align. My symptoms are mild enough (most of the time) that I'm hesitant to go on a daily medication unless I know it's going to be relatively short term. My doctor did mention pro-kinetic drugs to me briefly, so that's an option I suppose.To be honest I'm more interested in finding out what's causing the SIBO to recur than I am with just treating my symptoms. Of course, at this point, it may not even be worthwhile (or possible) to determine the cause...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My doctor specifically mentioned erythromycin when I saw him last July, but then in a subsequent follow up visit he seemed hesitant to prescribe it. I think he was concerned partly because it's short-acting (I could be wrong about that- can't remember now), and the risk of side effects/bacterial resistance with continued use... Just found this article which talks about the use of erythromycin as a prokinetic agent. It's from 2007, so may be a little out of date:http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/dkl537v1

·
Registered
9 Posts
HHV6 or enterovirus infection of the gut or some other low type infection like CMV that causes lower immunity and bacteria to grow in the gut.Do you also have swollen gut walls? or lymph node aggregations in payer patches that are visible through colonoscopy?Have you done immune tests like CD4/CD8 counts , NK, B cells and monocytes?? Check them and if you are in top of range then something else is wrong.7 out of 10 people with SIBO have lowered immune function due to chronic viral infections

·
Registered
25 Posts
Antibiotics are the cause of my issues. Antibiotics weakened my already poor immune system. When that occurs fungus takes over the gut and guess what we get! Research fungal disease.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Just so we are clear Waray.. fungal disease is not IBS and IBS is not fungal disease. Two different things but I imagine one can have both simultaneously.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HHV6 or enterovirus infection of the gut or some other low type infection like CMV that causes lower immunity and bacteria to grow in the gut.Do you also have swollen gut walls? or lymph node aggregations in payer patches that are visible through colonoscopy?Have you done immune tests like CD4/CD8 counts , NK, B cells and monocytes?? Check them and if you are in top of range then something else is wrong.7 out of 10 people with SIBO have lowered immune function due to chronic viral infections
Draenei, I had a complete blood panel done (several actually over the past 2-3 years) and my cell counts were all normal, as far as I know. My colonoscopy results were all normal as well (no inflammation, had multiple biopsies done that all showed nothing abnormal). Additionally, back in 2000 or so I was tested for HIV due to recurring yeast infections and that was negative. I've done nothing since that would put me at risk for that. The recurring yeast infections are something that I have not mentioned to my doctor and will at my next appointment. Will probably mention chronic viral infection in general, or ask about anything else that would knock down my immune system in any way.Thanks for responding; you've given me a few more ideas...

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
My point is they are not one in the same. I have not read research anywhere that suggests fungal disease can be the basis of IBS. If you have a link that does state this.. please share it with us. Thanks!I have read that some folks can have post infectious IBS though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.