Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks :)I am a 56 year old white male living in Maryland USA.My GI says I have IBS and after a colonoscopy, also I have a microscopic form of colitis.I go regular every morning and usually very loose. Sometimes I wake up with gas pains and haveto go the the bathroom with urgent loose stool and gas.This has made me late for work on a few occasions!!Doc first put me on Lialda, which worked for a few days, then stoped working.No we are trying 3 Entocorts in the morning plus 2 400mg Asocal 3 times a day.Been doing this now for 4 days. Stool is still very loose, and dyed dark red-brown from the Asocal.I thing I am noticing some side effects from the Entocort as well (too early to really tell).A few hours after I take them, I get sleepy, but it wares off in an hour or so.It also is causing some nervousness, restlessness. Had trouble sleeping last night. Woke up at 12 feeling"anxious". Had to take a OTC sleeping pill.After 4 days, so far no difference in stool, still like oatmeal!!I have heard others was it caused constipation! oh how I PRAY for constipation!!My regular doc had me on Verapamil. Its for high BP, put has a constipating side effect.This worked GREAT for about 2 weeks. I was going normal, nice solid stools, I felt like a new man and was very happy.Then, it suddenly reversed and started causing urgent diarrhea!! I was soooooo depressed!!Is anyone else on this same drug routeen? How long did it take for your BM to be normal (if ever)?Did you have side effects?Also, if this drug combo does start showing some positive results, how long can one stay on these meds?Looking forward to talking with you folks, I think it's great that there are forums like this.Lets face it, we have a problem some folks do not want to talk about

·
Registered
101 Posts
Entocort works a miracle for my IBS-D, which my doc says may or may not be microscopic. The Entocort takes several weeks to work, so relax and wait. Sadly, my doc will not prescribe it for more than a month or so so I keep relapsing and have basically given up on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I would never imagine I'd miss to have a solid normal stool this much.Every time it's a dissapointment.All this weird colors and even green sometimes.I ate a green apple today and the coat was there as it is - undigested at all.I'm not even fully diagnosed yet but Im planning to start a LDN treatment after it's done.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Turk. Calcium and D really seems to firm up the stool for most everyone that tries it. Caltrate-Plus D is the brand I believe. Imodium also works for many especially those that take it before bed so they are not late for work or traffic issues. Antibiotics also helped me but I am IBS-D with SIBO and not microscopic col. I also had a doctor that used a lab in North Carolina (Geneva) to give back a five day comprehensive gut flora analysis. They found a couple of near pathogenic strains and also that I was missing ALL my bifidobacterium strains. Research has confirmed this is the most important strain. I found a lab called Moss Nutrition that will basically customize whatever strain you are missing in a very well done probotic. It has changed my life. I also avoid diary and genetically modified foods/grains. Other people have used antidepressants to cause constipation. That worked for me for a while until I got too many side effects. I also take a fiber pill that is different from most. It is from my Natropathic Doctor and has no grains whatsoever - all vege fiber. It has helped to create a well formed stool and ease the pain of my diverticulosis. I have not tried the drugs you have named and probably will not since I am fairly controlled at this point. (prayer here.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also had a doctor that used a lab in North Carolina (Geneva) to give back a five day comprehensive gut flora analysis. They found a couple of near pathogenic strains and also that I was missing ALL my bifidobacterium strains.
Do you recall the lab and is this something you need to go through your doctor to get studies done with? A few years ago I did use a lab which also found me completely lacking Bifidobacterium, but when I showed it to several doctors they didn't seem to have much of a reaction to it. I was always curious whether my gut flora is just totally screwed up.Be also helpful to know the place where you got your specifically designed pro biotic. Perhaps that isn't a bad idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts