Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,I am a regular reader of this site. I find it very supporting, however unfortunately I haven't yet found anything that helps my stomach problems.I suffer from churning and very, very noisey stomach, often in the small intestine and bowel area. It is so severe sometimes, I feel that I can't continue with my job do to the huge embarassement.I have tried tots of things with no avail. I keep seeing people post about how Levsin and Levbid have helped. I asked my Doctor, but she had never heard of them. Are they American? If so, do you know the English equivalent?I have previously tried Ratadine, Colpermin, Buscopan, diet elimination, hypnotherapy, herbal teas.I tend to eat a wheat/ gulten free diet, however have noticed that when I eat bread, my urine smells of yeast after. Has anyone else experienced this?Thanks in anticipation of replies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All I know is my doctor just put me on Levsin last week and the pharmacy gave me the generic for it which is hycosamine. I am not sure on the spelling on that right now. It does seem to help somewhat.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is one of a group of drugs called anticholinergic medications, sometimes called antispasmodics. Atropine is a name of one drug they might know. These drugs are also used to treat overactive bladder (detrusor instability) and maybe one of those drugs would work OK. The drug doesn't know if it is marketed for bowel muscles or bladder muscles.K.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi,I'm on the generic form of levisin too. I have been for about 8 months. If you take it regularly you'll notice big improvements. Don't just take it when you need it. I noticed that I don't have as many ibs attacks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was on it for a while. Gave me cotton mouth, didn't really seem to help my IBS.What helped most was restricted diet, immodium/aspirin, and beer.
I'm playing with Benefiber now. so far no ill effects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I have been taking generic Levsin for 2 weeks and it has helped some. But like with other meds/supplements I have taken, the effects seem to be diminishing. If you look at my medicine cabinet, it is full of all kinds of meds, herbs and probiotics. With the herbs and probiotics, I get the best results when I take them for 1 or 2 weeks at a time and then stop or rotate them. It's like my body gets used to it. As I'm writing this I am in some pain. I just took some Donnatal. That always is my back up med when all else fails. But I only take it as needed. Good luck, God bless and here's to a cure!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also have been on an antispasmatic called Clidinium & Chlordiazepoxide C (hope that spelling is correct). It helps some, but I'm up to 2 pills 4 times a day and I still have some serious cramping and aches. Good luck with finding the one you are looking for.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Stacy, welcome to the yawn club. But for me, the c/c caps, are the only thing that has even remotely helped. Medicine wise at least.Therapy is always a good thing for me. One that specializes in pain management is great. Beyond that, learning the breathing exercises, visualization, etc have helped immensely. I'm still in pain the majority of the time, but I manage to do it with a smile nowadays.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I started Levsin about a week ago. It seems to be helping a little bit. I keep forgetting to take it every 6 hours though, so I'm having more pain at night. I also can't go to the gym on it either as it decreases my sweating. But, when it's working, it seems to be helping. Hyoscyamine sulfate is the generic name of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.