Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - I posted this first on the GERD board but got no response.Here's what I'd like to know: Sometimes, after eating, I get a lot of belching where I am actually burping bits of food back up into my mouth (ewwwww). This is accompanied by a burning in my throat and sometimes I get heartburn, too. I don't get heartburn very often, but when I do it can range from mildly annoying to excruciating. Sometimes I go for a day or two with a feeling that there is something stuck in my throat. Does this sound like GERD? I tried Prilosec OTC about amonth ago but it didn't seem to help, and actually seemed to cause more D. I am also confused about how to use it - can you go beyond the 2-week treatment? The package made it sound like you can only take for two weeks and then you should be better. Anyone have any advice?Thanks, Marty

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I don't know what it means (could mean different things), but I have had a lot of it too, esp. over the past year. I have had a lot of GERD too (probably reflux from bile after my surgery). Wish I could be of better help.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi Marty,Just saw this now.Sure sounds like GERD to me, but I'm no doctor.I was diagnosed with GERD after an endoscopy where they actually saw corrosion in my esophagus.I did not do well with the various prescriptions my doctor gave me for IBS and GERD.I have strange allergies, and the first medicine made me break out in hives and my hair started to fall out in clumps!
I have found that a careful diet works much better for me, and then I feel more in control of the IBS instead of the other way around.For GERD, things to avoid:I avoid peppermint and all mint, including teas.I am very careful about limiting acidic foods and drinks; I can manage a little tomato sauce in a meal, but I cannot drink orange juice, Seven-Up, or any lemon flavoured drink.I generally avoid all carbonated beverages, except for an occasional Canada Dry Ginger Ale.I avoid coffee, tea, cola and chocolate; in fact, I avoid anything with caffeine.For GERD, things that are good:I drink herbal teas and decaffeinated green tea.Ginger tea can be very good for settling the stomach and it doesn't cause GERD problems the way that peppermint can.I turn off the ringer on my phone when I eat, and always eat sitting up well.I don't move about much for 30 minutes after eating.I try to eat smaller, more frequent meals; sometimes a "meal" is more like a snack.I am careful not to eat a big meal in the hours before bedtime.Hope this helps.
Take care . . . from Lexi

·
Registered
26 Posts
IBSnewbie, I agree with Lexi. Also one of the side affects of Prilosec is Diarrhea. To control GERD you need to use a Proton Pump Inhibitor which Prilosec is but, there are so many more to chose from if you have you MD write you a script. The dosages will be higher so you will probably get better relief. Some need to be taken on a empty stomach or they will not suppress the stomach acid. Prilosec Prescription dose is 20mg (QD) once a day. Severe cases can be use 20mg (Bid) twice a day but, if it is not working for you at 20mg QD you need to see a Doctor right away as the GERD is eating the lining of your esophgus.AA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.