Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm suffering from lg&fbo for 4 years like many of you tried every thing available in iraq visited many doctors without any benefit . last week i visited a new surgoen who surprised me and told me he know about fbo and he had two other cases ,he told me that it is a psychological disease and i should go to a psychologist.i asked him for the English name of the disease he said it is called monosymptomatic hypochondriacal psychosis,i looked in the net and found more precise term which is Olfactory Reference Syndrome which is a type of the monosymptomatic hypochondriacal psychosis.since that i'm feeling of a great relief and the last three days were much easier and i started to laugh again after 4 year of grief ,i still feel that i smell bad but i don't care,PLEASE CHECK these sites and read it all before judginghttp://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=4796http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/49/1/77excuse me for my English,your friend from iraq

·
Registered
712 Posts
i'm suffering from lg&fbo for 4 years like many of you tried every thing available in iraq visited many doctors without any benefit . last week i visited a new surgoen who surprised me and told me he know about fbo and he had two other cases ,he told me that it is a psychological disease and i should go to a psychologist.i asked him for the English name of the disease he said it is called monosymptomatic hypochondriacal psychosis,i looked in the net and found more precise term which is Olfactory Reference Syndrome which is a type of the monosymptomatic hypochondriacal psychosis.since that i'm feeling of a great relief and the last three days were much easier and i started to laugh again after 4 year of grief ,i still feel that i smell bad but i don't care,PLEASE CHECK these sites and read it all before judging
Hi Antipsycho.If you indeed have ORS & taking anti depressants have helped you overcome your situation then I am pleased for you.I suspect that to say that all IBS sufferers have ORS & that they are imagining their FBO trivializes their condition and places further pressure on their situation.How can a person seek any kind of help when they are told they're imagining things?Reading the paper on ORS revealed the following statement:Dr. Bizamcer (ANB): The first paper about ORS was published by Pryse-Philips in 1971.1 He identified 100 cases of patients who experienced olfactory hallucinations of unpleasant personal body odor and the belief that people reacted negatively toward them because of it. All but 36 cases met diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia, depression, or epilepsy. For these cases, he introduced the term "olfactory reference syndrome."Almost 70% of those identified with ORS were found to have schizophrenia. This condition can easily be tested for & eliminated as a cause.Also the paper does not indicate the percentage of remaining ORS sufferers compared to genuine FBO sufferers.If there were 36 ORS sufferers who did not have schizophrenia, what percentage did this represent compared to genuine FBO sufferers? I'd say ORS exists but it's a minor sub set of those who complain of FBO.One of the problems of FBO sufferers is that often they can't gauge how offensive their condition is at any given time.When immersed in a chronic odor ones olfactory receptors lose sensitivity. For example a habitual smoker doesn't know what the fuss is about when others are overcome by the smell.Not knowing how severe one's FBO will be on any given day or moment when suffering from a chronic condition can lead to mental stress which will worsen ones condition.To consign all people who genuinely suffer from FBO with an ORS label (telling them that they are imagining their condition, & advising them to take anti depressants) is like masking reality with drugs.I'd hate to live my life oblivious to the reality of my condition?

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi too Common ResponseORS is a delusion sometimes come with hallucinations,and you don't need to be schizophrenic to have ORS because it a disease by it self you can be completely normal except for this wrong belief,i didn't take antidepressants and i'm not willing to after all it only help a very small number of ORS people,curing ORS is nearly impossible if the patient lost his reasoning as it's delusion."They may misperceive comments (such as, "It's stuffy in here"), receiving perfume or soap as a gift, or behaviors such as people sniffing, touching or rubbing their nose, clearing their throat, opening a window to get fresh air, putting a newspaper in front of their face, or looking or moving toward or away from the patient." pretty much me and you,regarding the comments that we get they may be due to anxiety that make us fart and urine to leak.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
No Antipsycho I don't believe this is the case with the majority of people who experience lg or fbo. I would think these folks with this particular delusion would be rare indeed. But thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the board and thought to post. I'm happy for you if what you posted is honestly the root of your issue. Sadly, I have had enough experiences in my 20 years of living to know that my occurrences of odor problems are very existent. But I do hope this has helped you and you have a shot at a better life!

·
Banned
240 Posts
Antipsych,First, thank you for your service. Second, thank you for posting this informationand this has helped me tremendously in my continuation of researching this disorder. I am so glad to hear you that you are relieved.Will you seek the care of a therapist/psychologist?Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will you seek the care of a therapist/psychologist?
No I won't ,I'll just buy fluoxetine and see how it will work ,I've tried amitriptyline it helped a lot but i didn't continue it because it made me sleepy
.of course all of these without prescription since i don't need one to get them.i don't know if these are right drugs i just know that they are antidepressants sorry for delay,i'm too busy these days

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still believe that i emit bad smell which is also a feature of ORS(sometimes fixed/sometimes transient ),it may persist despite antispychotic/antidepressant that's why I'm not eager to try psychotherapy.but i must say after i heard about ORS the bad bad days(panic attack!!!?????) are gone ,I'm not sure yet but you can say now i only have leaky gasnote that I'm typical FBO/Lger i had feeling of incomplete evacuation ,pressure feeling in the rectum and wetness,but all of these are diminished after i knew that they can be symptoms of hypochondria,these were mentioned namely!!!google itthe problem is in comments i don't know if our brains can perceive full sentences without being real,are they because of halitosis!!!!??as the only word that can describe bad smell is "S *H*I*T" even in Arabic "khara" not necessarily mean "Poo"i'm very confused i just want to be cured whatever the cause

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.