Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 24 years old and I've had ibs since I was I was about 12 years old. Over the years I have gone through many flare ups where it has gotten better then worse and so on. I've tried numeorus doctors over the years including many tests (colonoscopy,endoscopy,ultrasouds,ct scans, bloodwork etc.). I've also tried many different anti-spasmodic medications such as bentyl, levsin, donotol. Recently I have also tried some anti-depressants such as ativan and xanax. Since about 6 months ago I started a flare up and it just keeps getting worse and worse. It has even caused so much anxiety in my life that I'm nervous to drive up the street. I go the entire day at work without eating (I won't even drink water) because I fear the pain and the cramping I get from everything I eat. It it ruling my entire LIFE. I cannot go anywhere without using the bathroom for hours at a time, I will not travel, I'm scared to drive with my child in the car with fear I'm going to get the pain, and I cannot tell you the last time we actually went out to eat. Not to metion all the damage I have caused to my body at this point with going the ENTIRE day without eating. I'm constantly fatigued, ulcers in my mouth, and I'm dropping weight rapidly. The only time in the past 10 years that I have felt completely comfortable with my ibs is when I was pregnant? The pain and anxiety are so horrible now that I'm being controlled by this horrible disease!!!! Please help! Any advice?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Unfortunatly the longer you wait to eat the worse the pain will be when you finally break the fast. It becomes a vicious cycle.Eating 300 calories every 3 hours is a lot better way to manage even if it sets things off a bit more than complete starvation.Have they tried a tricyclic antidepressant rather than an sedative type of thing like xanax? Elavil, desipramine, something like that. They tend to work better for pain than that anti-anxiety drugs for a lot of people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know and the pain is terrible when I finlly do eat, so thats why I kinow I have to be home or in a comfortable place when I do. What do you suggest eating? and I was thinking of askihg my doctor about amiltriptyline, have you heard anything on that?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am sure after all these years you have had plenty of work-ups. However, the only way to most surely say it is IBS-D is if you have had a complete GI exam and RECENTLY, not from 10 years ago. This would include an upper and lower GI, biopsies, blood work such as sed rate, CBC, liver and kidney function, pancreatic and gallbladder function, sprue, H-pylori, plus stool cultures for infections or parasites. If you have not had ALL these tests, then you need a different doctor or you need to be a bigger pest to get the tests done. What to eat? Dietary modifications can include elimination diets. This is where you remove all spicy and greasy or fast food and see what happens. Then remove all dairy (butter/milk), casine, whey, cassinate, yogurt and cheese and see if you get better. One in four people on the planet has a problem breaking down dairy. Third, you can try various grain eliminations such as gluten/wheat (not necessarily because you have sprue but some people are sensitive). Fourth, cut out all genetically modified corn and soy - eat only organic. Other than that, you should certainly stay away from alcohol, pop, coffee and caffine. Always allow about two weeks min to see if the changes worked and DO NOT cheat. Sometimes it really does not matter what you eat. Often, people also forget to read labels on their food, do not understand the label or eat out too much.I had a comprehensive stool analysis and was found to be missing ALL bifidobacterium from my GI. . . bad! This strain is responsible for keeping alot of issues in check. So, I take a special probotic. Unfortunately, I also have small bowel bacterial overgrowth, meaning the bacteria is not even in the right place. Your small bowel should be free of bacteria. It is full of enzymes and where most of your "food" is absorbed for fuel for your body. Stomach acid usually kills bacteria to keep the SB clean and running smoothly. Sometimes too many antacids and PPi's can make bacterial overgrowth and diarrhea much worse because they knock out all the stomach acid. Bacterial overgrowth is hard to test for as there are lots of false postives and negatives. At some point, there will be a "camera pill" with the ability to take samples of fluid from various sections of the lower small bowel. Some signs that you may NOT have ordinary IBS include weight loss, chronic explosive diarrhea that does not alternate and that is consistant regardless of what or how litte you eat, sweating, fevers, extreme fatigue and weakness. However, if you are starving yourself - Kathleen is 100 percent spot on. You need FOOD in the gut just to maintain normal motility. I know how you feel. I gave up eating myself because the D was so very bad. I too could not leave my house. Heck, I could not even go 10 feet from a bathroom. Some things that can relieve diarrhea and this is just a short list and it can be any one or several that work (Most take time - up to three weeks to see some benefit besides imodium). Also, adding and switching too many things at once can often result in not really knowing what helped you and what caused more problems:Imodium - take the max dose prior to going out - this seems to work regardless of what problem you have unless it is infectious or inflammatoryFloragen - a good proboticKilfur - another probotic but it is dairyBubbies Sauerkraut - another live probotic at Whole FoodsHaung Lian Su - an antibiotic type chinese herb available on AmazonVarious IBS formulationsZincLysineGlutamine PowderGas-XCalcium carbonate plus D vitamins - great to form stoolsD supplementspeppermint caps - freeze and take with meals grapefruit seed extract drops as a natural antibiotic to kill bad bacteriaHCi tabs - extra stomach acid to kill bacteria in the small bowel to be taken with food but NOT if you have an ulcerRx antidepressants to control gut motility - many products work quite wellRx medication to slow down the gutCodeine Rx to create constipationAntibiotics such as Tetracycline, Cipro, or Xifaxan if you know you have bacterial overgrowth of the small bowel or too much bad bacteriaDigestive enzymesRx Cholestryramine - a powder that is used if you have too much bile or Habba SyndromeBiofeedback and relaxation techniques or drugsAntiacids/PPi's if your problem is actually an ulcer, gastritis or too much stomach acid Check out the section on Prescription Medications to learn more. Organic clean diets and/or strict dietary modifications - some people have done very well with raw food diet. I have done better on all organic food, adding organic flax seed freshly ground, taking the calcium and vitamin D tabs, antibiotics when I'm really bad (but I have small bowel bacterial overgrowth/SIBO), imodiium for meetings and flights, avoiding coffee, alcohol, dairy, sugar and limiting processed grains. Basically, I eat nothing but organic fruits and veges, a few whole grains such as oats/oat bread, flax and organic grass-fed meat. Biofeedback has worked well for some people to learn how to control emotional triggers and stress. You can use the search feature on this site for a wealth of information as well as wait for one of our moderators to offer their expert opinion. Do not use this site and its information to replace a doctor. Use it to work with your doctor so you can GET back to a functional level of health. Good luck and do NOT give up!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks SO much for the help! I've been having ulcers in my mouth whenever I get these spells of diarrhea, do you think I have too much acid in my stomch/gut?
Well, that is interesting. I get ulcers too, in my eyes, my mouth and my gut. It is NOT due to stomach acid in my case but most likely the wrong bacteria, overgrowth and weak mucosal protection. I also can feel this "coating" on my teeth and mouth and get bad gas when I know a flare is coming. There can be many reasons for the ulcers in your mouth. Yes, it would seem that an overproduction of stomach acid might be the cause. Hard to say without some GI doc going down with his scope. Ulcers can also mean food allergies and even VITAMIN DEFICIENCIES! I get my ulcers from eating genetically modified grain of any kind. . . soy, corn, wheat, appear to be the worst FOR ME. This includes any animal that consumed the grain and all packaged or junk food and all fast food. Herpes has been linked to both allergies and blistering reactions especially the mouth, GI issues and even my initial problem which was a reaction called Stevens Johnson Syndrome. Ulcers in the mouth can indicate stress, bacterial overgrowth, inflammation and any host of other conditions or even diseases. How are your teeth? What does your dentist say? Do you have any skin problems too?I don't have a good guess for you. I would think if your gut bacteria is off, it would be easy for "bad" bacteria to attack your mouth and cause ulcers. There are autoimmune disease including crohns that can also have that as a symptom. Stomach acid seems less likely unless you also feel stomach burning, heartburn, burping and have acid reflux or nausea. Again, no quick answers. Be your own best advocate - read, read, read some more and do NOT rely on ONE doctor's opinion as our conditions can be multifaceted. I use a mouthwash called Biotin to help with my mouth but I know my problem is related to 1) small bowel overgrowth, 2) no good bacteria to fight the bad, 3) weak immunity barriers causing multiple food allergies mostly to GMOs and/or toxins. Have you always had the mouth ulcers when the IBS-D flared - all these years? I am not a medical professional, any ideas I post are from my own experience and lack clinical training. My posts are not to replace your doctor's advice and/or treatment plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.