Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello people, Summary: I have mucus incontinence and I believe it is caused by candidiasis. I'm new here and am very glad to see a popular message board here to support people with such difficult ailments. I'm one of those people, and I've dealt with my particular issue for 3 1/2 years. I'm currently 22 years old and my symptoms have definitely altered my life, which I am sure is the same case for most of you. In the beginning, for the first 2 1/2 years I had my first symptom whic was liquid stool incontinence only after making a bowel movement. It would happen in small amounts for several hours after, but by night it would get better (so I started going at night, and was semi-okay in the morning). About 8 months ago though it took a turn for the worse. I took on another symptom along side the first. Constant mucus incontinence. Basically, and I apologize for being as descriptive as this, but during any physical activity I will have a moist feeling down there. I can jog for maybe 3 mins max before having a wet spot in my boxers. I walk carefully everywhere I go, fearing I might cause it to leak. In intense, stressful situations I feel a warm feeling down there, like I'm perspiring, and then the moist feeling from the mucus leaking. It also occurs during sex, or masturbation. I have been seeing doctors for a year and a half. And there are many tests that I have yet to have done. Here are a list of my current symptoms:1. Mucus incontinence2. Small amount of fecal incontinence (improved after I took probiotics, and only lasts for a few minutes after a BM most of the time).3. Bad breath. I don't notice it most of the time, but sometimes when I brush my teeth and there is a sharp contrast between my breath and the tooth paste I can tell. It smells very bad, like feces almost. For a while I thought it was the sink drain or something else (in denial).4. White tongue. Only a small portion, near the back and middle of the tongue. It's not very noticeable, but if I stick my tongue out all the way you can see it.Treatments triedWhile only having fecal incontinence1. Fiber2. Exercise, a lot3. Enema, for two weeks. (curse the doctor that suggested this)4. Low lactose intake5. Anti-parasite treatmentThe mucus incontinence is the worst, and began after the anti-parasite treatment. Also, when the mucus incontinence began I had reactions to almost everything I ate. I thought I was lactose and gluten intolerant because of it, but most things I ate caused my to bloat and have lots of gas. This lasted for a few months. I went without lactose or gluten for 2 months because of it, and then one day braved a glass of milk, and was surprised to have no gas in response to the milk.Treatments tried while having both fecal and mucus incontinence.1. Fiber2. Stool sample test.2. Steroids, for GI tract.3. Anti-biotics4. Two months gluten and lactose free5. Colonoscopy, came back negative for anything significant enough6. Blood tests for iron, folate, vitamin b12 (negative)7. Rectal Monometry 8. Desipramine - to dry out the mucus. I read somewhere that you should not do this though, and since its an antidepressant I stopped taking it. I disliked how it made me feel. Made everything dry, but the mucus.9. Current treatment: Dr Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus. (10 pills everyday for 6 days, now I'm currently taking 2-3 pills a day). Causes gas, and makes the fecal incontinence after a BM better, almost completely better.I don't know if it's because people don't post after they get better, but it seems that everyone with my symptoms almost never get better. It's always people posting, begging to be cured, but no one coming back and saying how they were cured. It's been difficult to figure things out because I've been forced to switch between several different doctors due to moving several times, and also very long waiting periods between appointments. But I found a new GI doctor in the area who seems to have experience with patients with my problem. I am seeing him on the 23rd of this month. I'm looking for some probable causes that I can propose to him, and see how he responds.I don't know how long I had a white tongue, or bad breath (maybe 4 months or more), but I never really thought it was connected to my mucus incontinence. The mucus is the most aggravating, and I am starting to believe it may be caused by candidiasis. The fecal inctoninence may not be caused by candidiasis, but I think the mucus is caused by candidiasis.Anyone else with similar symptoms? Anyone find a cure? Any suggestions or thoughts considering this for the gastroenterologist on the 23rd? Sorry for the wall of text, but I thought more description would be better.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A few people here have had good luck using antihistamines to control the mucus. May be worth a shot. If the tricyclic antidepressant works on the mucus it may be because they are ALSO antihistamines.Candida in the mouth is not a hard to notice bit of white (that is considered normal in Chinese Tongue Diagnosis, there should be a clear or thin white coating).Thrush is usually a thick coating, sometimes in patches and when I've had it the tongue around the patches is red and sore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Benadryl helped a little bit, but not nearly to an extent that would allow a regular life. The antidepressants did not really help. Couldn't seep well, felt sick, and still had the same problems, if not worse.The white bit on the tongue used to be worse. I scrubbed and scrubbed at it though with my tooth brush and it doesn't look as bad anymore as i described. I think before it was possibly bad enough to signify candidiasis.Edit:I just viewed some photos of those with milder symptoms of thrush, and it looks similar to what I've got on my tongue. This would be good, because then I would have a treatable diagnosis

·
Registered
140 Posts
I forget whether it was soluble or insoluble fiber that sort of soaks up mucus. I've had occassional bouts of mucus incontinence, and it happens more often during summer. I hate the feeling of a sticky anus.I'll try to look that up, I might've kept the article on my hard drive.I'm currently battling fecal odors, and while it's improved a lot, I've a ways to go_One thing I didn't see on your list of things you've tried is fructose intolerance. No idea if that would help at all, but I've considered the possibility that excessive gas might be caused by fructose, lactose, or gluten.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmm I'll look into a fructose intolerance. I don't have excessive gas though so that might be unlikely. I've tried soluble fibers only i believe since I started having mucus leaking, but I haven't tried insoluble, I'll try that out too. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
First I want to thank you for your post because it sounds almost identical to my situation. I posted in the thread about hemorrhoids that if it was hemorrhoids then it was the fluid that was being secreted that was causing the odor. After readin this though, a doctor would have noticed hemorrhoids in your case since you have had tests done.a couple of things you said made my eyes open wider because they are things I have been wondering about for years. For instance, why does it happen when I have sex or masturbate? I play guitar, and notice when I sit upright playing guitar for too long that it happens and I smell the rest of the day. Even if I bath I still smell. So what causes it is the question. I also suffer from the same type of food intolerances that you do. I'm glad that you are seeing another doctor about it. Please don't stop posting here. We need you. I'm glad you laid it all out there so plainly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a hemorrhoid, but it developed after my symptoms (mostly from overwiping) and the doctor did notice it. I highly suggest you go to the doctor and try to get this figured out. We could have the same symptoms, but different causes you never know. And, say for instance in case we do have the same cause, say I try something, you can try something else and we can kind of collaborate with each other and give ourselves a better chance at fixing it. I wont be seeing the doctor until probably march 1st - march 15th. Sometime between then. I'm still waiting on the referral in the mail that lets me see the right doctor. There are some minor differences between our symptoms. I do not have visible mucus on my feces, and mucus does not come out when I fart more than any other time that I can notice. It's mainly when I move around. Today wasn't too bad though! I was able to hang out with some friends, wash the car all day. I didn't move too much, but when I did it wasn't an overwhelming problem.I actually don't have food intolerances right now. I had some extended episodes where foods would make me upset, but that came and went while my symptoms stayed the same. I really hope you get better. And hopefully we can help each other with this. Insoluble fiber sounds like it miiiiight help. It supposedly soaks up water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts