Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
2301 - 2320 of 2360 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know, I've been doing this for over a month now and although I can't say this is a cure all for IBS D it definitely has made things a little more tolerable. I'm up to 1 at each meal 3x's a day.

I take the calcium with no magnesium. Magnesium for me is a laxative so I totally avoid. Now looking for a probiotic that does not have magnesium since I've just recently learned Florastor has magnesium.

I know others have replied to me on previous posts but for some reason I cannot find them to reply back.

I would encourage others to at least try the calcium. If it doesn't work, you can always stop. No harm done.

· Registered
16 Posts
I have a question about the whole Caltrate plan. I started taking Caltrate in the Pink bottle since it has no magnesium and started with 1/2 tablet per each meal. I found some initial relief, but within a few days, the D started to return. I upped the dosage to 1 tablet per meal or 3 per day. It did not seem to help and two of the last 3 days I had the urge to go to the bathroom that was so bad it would not go away for the entire day. I took two doses of lamotil to bring it under control the first day and had to take 3 doses of lamotil to attempt to control it the second day. Am I missing something, or does this Caltrate thing just not work for some people. I am at a point now where I am supposed to go on vacation in 3 weeks and have no idea how I am going to go with my D out of control.

· Registered
18 Posts
I have a question about the whole Caltrate plan. I started taking Caltrate in the Pink bottle since it has no magnesium and started with 1/2 tablet per each meal. I found some initial relief, but within a few days, the D started to return. I upped the dosage to 1 tablet per meal or 3 per day. It did not seem to help and two of the last 3 days I had the urge to go to the bathroom that was so bad it would not go away for the entire day. I took two doses of lamotil to bring it under control the first day and had to take 3 doses of lamotil to attempt to control it the second day. Am I missing something, or does this Caltrate thing just not work for some people. I am at a point now where I am supposed to go on vacation in 3 weeks and have no idea how I am going to go with my D out of control.
My first month on Caltrate I had the urge to go all the time, I never did have Diarrhea though, it was always normal bowel movements but the urgency was still there and felt like I was going to have Diarrhea. I am 3 months into it now and the urgency has almost completely gone away. But the Caltrate does not work for everyone unfortunately.

· Registered
22 Posts
I have good days and I still have bad days when taking the calcium but I do see a slight difference so I'm going to keep trying. I've seen the Heather's around for a few years. I've never tried it nor do I know anyone that has. I'm always so skeptical to try new things. I tried to look at the ingredients but I wasn't very successful. I would read the reviews and try to find the true ingredients and then make a decision. I suggest staying a way from anything containing magnesium for the D. I've read different things over the years regarding acacia. Some say it's a good thing and others say it's a bad thing false hopes but I'm not sure. Fiber can go either way. I've not had much success with fiber.

Hope this helps.

Maybe try being tested for food allergies. I'm allergic to a lot of foods and have been gluten free for almost two years. Staying away from gluten has helped some. Again not a cure all. One doctor says stay away; another says doesn't have a significant factor but I could tell so I choose to stay away. Although I've not tested positive for dairy; sometimes it gets me and sometimes it doesn't. So it's really hard to pinpoint the real issue.

· Registered
478 Posts
Pspal,
Now I'm also on caltrated3 plus minerals.I'm taking it two times daily three weeks now.at first week it worked well.second week it also improved my D.but now it becomes worest .is it due to magnesium in it or due to dietary change? I attended a feast 5 days ago.
Thanks.

· Registered
22 Posts
Wolfgrl/Akn165,

Wolfgrl, yes, I agree. I would ease off of everything and then possibly try just one again for a month to see what happens. Sometimes mixing too many together can cause issues. And yes I agree with you about vacations. I dread them. Most people go on vacation to relax. Vacations just stress me out because I'm uncomfortable in an environment that's new to me.

Akn165, I avoid anything with magnesium if I am aware of it. For me, magnesium is a stimulate and is not what I am looking for so yea, maybe skip the calcium with magnesium. If you go back and read Linda's original post, the calcium needs to say calcium carbonate as an ingredient. I did find an off brand that had the calcium carbonate with no magnesium but reread the original post to make sure I'm right on the calcium carbonate. I haven't read the post in awhile.

I look for vitamins, calcium supplements, iron supplements that say may cause constipation since I'm trying to do the opposite and not get things more flowing.

· Registered
478 Posts
Tonylyn,
I take caltrate D3 plus minerals one tab.twice daily now for 25 days.Now I decided to take it three times daily.In Linda's calcium info it is advised to take three tab.after every meal,at that time VitaminD in caltrate was 400 iu but now it contains 800iu.if we take 2400iu of VitaminD per day I think it is more than daily intake of D.What is daily intake of VitaminD in normal range? I'm able to take caltrate by the help of your inspiration otherwise l thought it before that caltrate causes my dizziness. What's your opinion in this matter? What's about your health condition?
Thanks.

· Registered
22 Posts
For me, taking more calcium to fix the problem is worth it. I'd rather deal with an overload of calcium then D. I'd rather be constipated than D. It seems to me that dealing with D puts such a crushing affect on your life that restricts you more than too much calcium in your system. I've also learned that many times the label tells you limits but I've had other instances where on different meds like Motrin, the doctor told me to take more than what was on the label so taking 1 more calcium than the label recommends isn't that devastating.

· Registered
18 Posts
Thought I would update this post, it is now the last day of February and during this month I have not had diarrhea at all, not even once. I am still doing Caltrate with D 3 times a day and one Florastor but I have cut out the Immodium because I was getting a little constipated. If you are sitting on the fence wondering if you should try this I definitely would tell you to go for it. Caltrate is inexpensive and if it works you will feel like a new person and if it doesn't you will only be out a few dollars. I have only one Florastor left and will try cutting it out and see if I can get the same results with just Caltrate. Good luck to anyone who tries this and I hope that you have the same results that I do.
Well it has now been 3 full months doing the Caltrate, I do not do anything but the Caltrate now and am still having amazing results. Can't say enough good things about how well this has worked for me. I can go shopping, out to lunch with friends and am not considering giving up my part time job any longer. This has really changed my life. Thanks to Linda I now feel like a new person.

· Registered
18 Posts
For me, taking more calcium to fix the problem is worth it. I'd rather deal with an overload of calcium then D. I'd rather be constipated than D. It seems to me that dealing with D puts such a crushing affect on your life that restricts you more than too much calcium in your system. I've also learned that many times the label tells you limits but I've had other instances where on different meds like Motrin, the doctor told me to take more than what was on the label so taking 1 more calcium than the label recommends isn't that devastating.
Maybe once the calcium has the desired effect that you want you will be able to cut back down to the recommended daily amount. Good luck with it, I am certainly happy I came upon this thread and gave calcium a try. I also do not mind being a little constipated but I could not handle the D any longer, it was taking over my life, I was scared to leave the house.

· Registered
18 Posts
Tonylyn,
I take caltrate D3 plus minerals one tab.twice daily now for 25 days.Now I decided to take it three times daily.In Linda's calcium info it is advised to take three tab.after every meal,at that time VitaminD in caltrate was 400 iu but now it contains 800iu.if we take 2400iu of VitaminD per day I think it is more than daily intake of D.What is daily intake of VitaminD in normal range? I'm able to take caltrate by the help of your inspiration otherwise l thought it before that caltrate causes my dizziness. What's your opinion in this matter? What's about your health condition?
Thanks.
Has your dizziness stopped? I only had dizziness for a short while when I first started. I take 3 Caltrate a day, I live in a northern climate so vitamin d is good for me. My health has improved so much I have a hard time believing it. I have gotten my life back and I hope that the Caltrate keeps working for many years to come. I am very happy and not scared to try all the things that I have been putting off. I read that vitamin D should be started slowly and that 4000 iu a day is safe for adults to take. I will have my levels checked with my doctor at 6 months and then one year after starting the Caltrate. Good luck and I hope you have the same results that I am having.

· Registered
478 Posts
Has your dizziness stopped? I only had dizziness for a short while when I first started. I take 3 Caltrate a day, I live in a northern climate so vitamin d is good for me. My health has improved so much I have a hard time believing it. I have gotten my life back and I hope that the Caltrate keeps working for many years to come. I am very happy and not scared to try all the things that I have been putting off. I read that vitamin D should be started slowly and that 4000 iu a day is safe for adults to take. I will have my levels checked with my doctor at 6 months and then one year after starting the Caltrate. Good luck and I hope you have the same results that I am having.
Many thanks Tonylyn for your quick response and reply.My dizziness has gone after 5 days of using caltrate.Now I take it two times daily but from today will take it 3 times daily.Now it is 29th day of taking caltrate.I think after another month it will improve more.what is the result I will intimate you later.Earlier I posted about my dizziness but no body replied it except you.After your reply l proceeding ahead.Thank you again for your kind cooperation.

· Registered
478 Posts
I'm glad the calcium is working for you two. I still have good days and bad days so maybe by taking longer, it'll be good days more often. I'll let you know.
Pspal,You have to take caltrate for another month patiently.calcium carbonate works lately in case of some persons.one writes here that calcium carbonate works for him after 4 months.
Thanks.

· Registered
22 Posts
Akn1965, thank you for posting about taking calcium longer. It's good to know that better results may take longer. I think I've only been taking it 1 month and in the beginning I was only doing 1/2 at each meal gradually working up to 1 at each meal. I'd rather try this since I don't seem to have much luck with prescribed meds from the doctors. Can't do the Verbizi or antidepressants which doctors love to dish out.

As far as dizziness, it's hard for me to tell. I've always had dizziness since I have allergies/vertigo but I'm still moving forward with the calcium. I'd fight any other symptoms to get rid of the big D.

· Registered
478 Posts
Papal,
Now you and I both are on caltrate.it shows good result aiso we will take another month with out any hesitation.I hope it will work to us well.
If it doesn't work we will try another things.There are many things to try.Don't be nervous.we have to strengthen our minds
Take care.
Thanks.

· Registered
22 Posts
akn1965,

yes, I'm moving forward on taking the calcium. Still giving it a try. I've found a probiotic in fact there are several that do not contain magnesium. I just rec'd today. I'm going to try the Phillips Colon Health and see how that goes.

Fingers crossed!
rolleyes.gif

2301 - 2320 of 2360 Posts