Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
2321 - 2340 of 2360 Posts

· Registered
478 Posts
akn1965,

yes, I'm moving forward on taking the calcium. Still giving it a try. I've found a probiotic in fact there are several that do not contain magnesium. I just rec'd today. I'm going to try the Phillips Colon Health and see how that goes.

Fingers crossed!:rolleyes:
Pspal
I have been taking caltrate for above one month.The result seems to be good.I also taking a probiotics bifilac ingredients are lactobacillus sporogenes50 millions cells,streptococcus faecals 30 million cells,clostridium butyricum 2 million cells bacillus mesentericus1 million cells.
About magnesium
All capsules and tablets contain magnesium stearate in their consistent,such a low amount can't the reason of diarrhea.Diarrhea occurs when it exceeds 60 mg.so we should not worry about that.

Thanks.

· Registered
18 Posts
Well I have been taking Caltrate for 6 months now and I must say that every month has shown greater improvement. Over the last 2 months I have had no diarrhea absolutely none. No dizziness, no sudden urges etc. I feel wonderful. It was very hard for me to get use to not having diarrhea, I had it so often all day long that now it just seems weird not to have it, if that makes any sense. I have a new found sense of freedom that I am still adjusting too. I know where every bathroom is in the town I live in and the city I visit but now I rarely if ever have to use them. I hope some of you find the relief that I have found it really is wonderful to have gotten my life back. I think of how I was in January to how I am now and I have difficulty believing how truly messed up I was. I take only Caltrate now 3 times a day. Good luck to everyone who tries this!

· Registered
478 Posts
I am very glad that you have been free from diarrhea at last.
I'm taking caltrated3plus minerals for three months now. It contains magnesium 50 mg that's why it doesn't work for me.I have porridge type stools.So I think to take calcium carbonate without magnesium. I don't decide whether I quit taking calcium or to swift another brand. I'm in hesitation. So what's your opinion?

Thanks Tonylyn.

· Registered
18 Posts
Haven't posted in quite some time but I am still having positive results with the calcium. I was taking Caltrate with Vit D but now I am taking Caltrate with Vit D and minerals. They both work! I have not noticed a difference from one to the other, they both keep my Diarrhea in control. I still have to stay away from eggs and wheat but I am so use to not eating them now that it is no big deal. I posted an Amazon link to the one I use, if this is not allowed please delete. Good luck and I hope this works as well for you as it has for me.

I take 3 a day with each meal, if I forget to take 1 or miss a day I will get cramping and diarrhea.

https://www.amazon.com/Caltrate-Calcium-Vitamin-Supplement-Minerals/dp/B0013TFL1U/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1508887462&sr=8-2&keywords=caltrate+600+d3+plus+minerals

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am new here and have been reading through the thread not managed all 117 pages yet though!

I really want to give the calcium carbonate a try. I am in uk so can't obtain caltrate so I have bought this Holland and Barrett 600mg with vit D

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-calcium-plus-vitamin-d-tablets-60004233?skuid=004230&&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_adid=85278283842&utm_adgID=58700001039319275&gclid=Cj0KCQiAus_QBRDgARIsAIRGNGhjiSi59HR-uw9Sp7P3WBKqDteXJPQJ5wgMckxqABgNhwt6dWOoIpEaAtb_EALw_wcB

Ingredients

Ingredients:

Calcium Carbonate, Bulking Agent (Microcrystalline Cellulose), Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose, Glazing Agent (Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose), Anti-Caking Agents (Magnesium Stearate), Vitamin D3.

600mg calcium (im hoping its the carbonate one) i cant tell online

3ug vitamin D

i will check it when it arrives to ensure that it doesn't have too much magnesium in.

does this seem ok ? the last thing i would want to do is make my condition worse

thanks so much

what is the limit please for magnesium?

has anyone in the uk tried the holland and barrett ones or is there a preferred other option

· Registered
18 Posts
I have been on the Caltrate now for 16 months and it has definitely changed my life. I still get diarrhea but it is maybe once or twice a month and I do not have the urgency that I use to have. If you haven't tried it I urge you to at least give it a month, it is inexpensive and easy to take. When I first started taking it I also took Align probiotics but I found they constipated me gave up the probiotics and went just with the calcium. Life is good when you don't spend half of it on the toilet. Good luck to anyone who is trying this.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Linda. I recently received the diagnosis of "probable IBS". My main symptom is diarrhea. I happened to fall on a post about calcium supplements on an IBS support Facebook face and I was curious about it. It is funny because I have asked myself "Would calcium help?" because I know calcium could cause constipation. I take 10-15 ml Metamucil at each meal to control my diarrhea right now, but I don't always feel well with it, but at least it reduces the frequency of the bowel movements, the urgency to go to the toilet and improves the consistency, making the stools less watery. I want to try the calcium suppléments, to see if it works and if I feel better. I have at home a Jamieson Megal Cal (Calcium+D3) supplement. It contains a complex of 650 mg of calcium (carbonate, fumarate, citrate, malate and succinate) plus 400UI of vitamin D. Would that be OK?

· Registered
10 Posts
Hello, I have been diagnosed IBS-D four months ago. I have lost a lot of weight until then (Dropped to 60 kg from 71). I started to take D3 and Omega 3 pills (2000 iu D3, and 950 mg Omega3 daily). My doctor requested a blood test recently and it says reference range is 8,6 to 10,2 mg/dL; and my calcium level is 10,23; a little bit higher than ref range. Do you think I should stop or reduce taking vitamin D pills? Or should I try to change my diet, as I am mostly eating chicken and red meat and fish since they seem to be OK.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi,Im new! I found this very interesting. I live in the UK and the caltrate 600 plus is over £30! Very expensive! Can you give me a web site or any idea where I can get it cheaper please. Im excited to have found you,been doing lots of research as Ive had ibs d for many years and was only diagnosed in October 2017! So now it has a name,Im researching and looking for advice. Im on low fodmaps,taking probiotics and vitamin supplements.Also Ive heard fresh lemon helps,so squeezed two today...I was a bit scared,but no reaction! Will have to see how that one goes,two every morning!So Id also like to find a cheaper source of calcium.Looking forward to your advice.

· Registered
38 Posts
Hi Linda, great to see how selflessly you are helping others with their challenges.
I am suffering from ibs D from last one year and along with the D I have also lossed 13 kg of weight (from 73 to 60)
I am 26, so the idea of taking a medicine for my entire life really scares me and its very hard for me to accept it.

Since calcium carbonate causes indigestion, will it be advisable for me (whos already having weight loss, probably due to indigestion) to take it?
Also, have you ever witnessed a case like that of mine where there is severe weight loss and after controlling the symptoms through calcium carbonate (or any other medicine) the person was able to gain back the lost weight.

Currently I have 2-4 BM each day, however its the weight loss that scarred me , I can still bare the discomfort of multiple BMs.

Please advice 🙏

· Registered
26 Posts
Hi Linda, great to see how selflessly you are helping others with their challenges.
I am suffering from ibs D from last one year and along with the D I have also lossed 13 kg of weight (from 73 to 60)
I am 26, so the idea of taking a medicine for my entire life really scares me and its very hard for me to accept it.

Since calcium carbonate causes indigestion, will it be advisable for me (whos already having weight loss, probably due to indigestion) to take it?
Also, have you ever witnessed a case like that of mine where there is severe weight loss and after controlling the symptoms through calcium carbonate (or any other medicine) the person was able to gain back the lost weight.

Currently I have 2-4 BM each day, however its the weight loss that scarred me , I can still bare the discomfort of multiple BMs.

Please advice
TarunSareen,

I have had IBS-D for most of my adult life and now I'm 68 years old. Have you been checked for other possible causes for the weight loss? I think it would be a good idea to see a doctor about that because I don't believe IBS-D usually causes weight loss. It never has for me.

Calcium carbonate is worth trying. It is part of my routine to manage my IBS-D. It does not cause me any indigestion. In fact TUMS are made of calcium carbonate and they relieve heartburn, acid indigestion and upset stomach (according to the label).

Take care!

Gramx3

2321 - 2340 of 2360 Posts