Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I read the article "Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders"from UNC about IBS.It appears to me there is a link between D after meal and Bacaterial overgrowth. Anybody agree? thanks=========================================== Small Bowel Bacterial OvergrowthThis means that there are too many bacteria in the upper part of the small intestine. This leads to symptoms of bloating, pain, and diarrhea that occur immediately after eating because the bacteria in the intestine begin to consume the food in the small intestine before it can be absorbed. These bacteria give off hydrogen and other gases which cause bloating and diarrhea. Small bowel bacterial overgrowth is a result of abnormal motility in the small intestine; when the housekeeper waves do not keep the bacteria swept out because the contractions are too weak or disorganized, the bacteria grow out of control. Bacterial overgrowth is most easily detected by the hydrogen breath test: The patient drinks a sugar solution and breathes into a bag every 15 minutes for two hours. If the bacteria are present in large amounts in the small intestine, they give off hydrogen, some of which is absorbed into the blood, carried to the lungs, and breathed out where it can be detected.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,This sounds like me. As soon as I eat I start hearing strange noises in my intestines and then have to run to the bathroom. Could you post the link to that article you referred to? Thanks.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Are they saying that the gases released by the bacteria cause diarrhea? It is interesting that even though bacterial overgrowth has to do with motility the diarrhea seems to be caused more by the force of the gases in the small intestine------------------Looking for accurate info. Please correct me if I have said anything incorrect. Much appreciate it

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
The treatment is anti-bioctics and succeful for some. They are still figuring out ways to treat it. One thing is the anti-biotics might be bad for the IBS while they treat the BO.------------------I work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Antibiotics like neomycin twice a year and a low dose of erythromycin the rest of the time as a maintenance program is the treatment for now. Cedars Sinai is the closest place I can think of off hand that does this test. You could try a hospital associated with a major research university or expensive private hospitals

1 - 10 of 10 Posts