Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Devin and I am 26 years old. I have been struggling with IBS symptoms for over 5 years. I have been in the ER 7 times over this period due to no stool movement for over 7 days each time. I had a colonoscopy about 4 years that didn't show anything wrong. I make sure to drink plenty of fluids and eat plenty of fiber. My problem is this: I can take any type of glycolax, phospo soda, or sodium nitrate and my sigmoid colon still won't let much by. Every time I go to the doctor they say it is constipation due to improper diet. Right now I can feel all the liquid stool moving around inside of me above my sigmoid colon from the effects of glycolax. However, still no bowel movement. I am wondering if it could be a muscle contraction problem instead blocking the colon, or is it still possible that there is stool getting caught up in the sigmoid area. Anyone else have similar problems? Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your problem. I my self been dealing with IBS-C for 1 1/2 year now and it's not fun :-( This what I'm doing to help...I eat 2tbsp of flax seed soaked in water over night with 3 prunes and eat it over my fiber One cereal every morning. Drink lots water after each meal. I eat lots of beans , fruits and veg everyday. I take Magnesium supplements(2 caps of 300mg daily), I take probiotics acidophilus twice a day. I take enzymes with each meal. Sometimes when I'm in too much pain I take 3 to 4 tsp of Milk of Magnesium. Maybe you should as you doc for a motility drug to get things moving in your colon. I hope this helps some. Have you ever had an enema? That helps some people. God bless you and guide you,Abi

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have the same isuue- even with watery d. it won't all come out but I take reglan and that pretty much solves the problem. it is a motility drug used to treat gastric paraysis ( sp?) which I don't have but it works b/c recently I tried not taking it and boom... no way could I go completely without it- had to resort to an enema and still felt crappy after that. they say it has nasty side effects but Ive been on it 7 years and notice nothing but results. I also take zelnorm in the morning and miralax 2 x a day and milk of mag at bedtime. between all of it I go great the next day and except for occasional bouts of pain I do well. best wishes to you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
quote:Originally posted by devinkaar:My name is Devin and I am 26 years old. I have been struggling with IBS symptoms for over 5 years. I have been in the ER 7 times over this period due to no stool movement for over 7 days each time. I had a colonoscopy about 4 years that didn't show anything wrong. I make sure to drink plenty of fluids and eat plenty of fiber. My problem is this: I can take any type of glycolax, phospo soda, or sodium nitrate and my sigmoid colon still won't let much by. Every time I go to the doctor they say it is constipation due to improper diet. Right now I can feel all the liquid stool moving around inside of me above my sigmoid colon from the effects of glycolax. However, still no bowel movement. I am wondering if it could be a muscle contraction problem instead blocking the colon, or is it still possible that there is stool getting caught up in the sigmoid area. Anyone else have similar problems? Thanks
Hi Devin, I didn't think there was anyone out there who had so much of the same symptoms. I'm 43 and have suffered with constipation ALL of my life. There's been times that I didn't have a BM in two weeks. Talk about looking pregnant. I've even had people ask me when I was due (YIKES)!!!! Recently, I couldn't take the pain anymore and went to the ER - only for them to give me Glycolax, drinking 8oz every 10 minutes until gone. It was hours before anything happened and like you, it was liquid stool but I just didn't feel cleaned out (Supposedly the stool should have been eventually clear - NOT) - I made an appointment to get a colonoscopy and upper GI Endoscopy a week and a half later. This time they instructed me to take Miralax (about 1/2 gallon this time) and two Dulcolax (which cramped me so bad) the day prior to the procedure. What they found was I had an gastric ulcer (upper GI results and the h.pylori infection in the lining of the stomach which was treated with a high course of two antibiotics) - Now about the colonoscopy - it showed that I have moderate internal hemorroids and lot of looping of the colon. To top it all off, and which confirmed my feelings of not being empty after all that stuff - the entire colon had stool in it. I also eat high fiber, lots of water, have taken phospo soda, stool softeners, etc. I quit taking laxatives because it would take soooooo many to make me move, however, the pain in my stomach (when you can feel the stool move thru the colon) was too painful.I've heard good things about Amitiza - I'm hoping I can get my GI to give it to me when I see him in two weeks. I've also heard good things about Zelnorm. My primary put me on Lactalose along with Miralax - but it isn't working. The one thing I can say by reading so many posts about our problem - some medications work wonders for some and then they do nothing for someone else. It truly seems to be like trial and error.I hope this information is something you can use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.