Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner of 5 years has I suspect IBS. Every 4-5 days he has severe diahoerra he says is triggered by food like dairy, coffee, chilli and gluten however sometimes he can eat all these things and not have a reaction. Other times he thinks its because he is tired and its been hot. He has been prepared to put up with having a reaction every week or so for the last 15 years basically because he was not interested in changing his diet and has learned to accept these occurrences. I was worried that it could be damaging his stomach lining or bowel. So he has had all the blood tests for Celiac's,stomach ulcers but not the bowel test for Cronin's yet. All tests were negative. He also took an allergy test and found nothing. They concluded it was food intolerances so he has started an elimination diet which basically limits him to eggs, fresh meat, rice and canned pears - he has been on this diet for two weeks yet he still has the same reaction every 4-5 days so I do not think diet is the primary cause. Yet he has to persevere with this limited diet for 6 weeks before intoducing what they call different food challenges. I really don't hold out much hope that limiting particular foods will make any significant improvement. Over Xmas I encouraged him to not over indulge and this seems to curb the diahoerra. He isn't an overweight person and in fact has lost 5 kgs recently because of the diahoerra and the new diet. I have read that IBS is also caused by stress and hormones. He is an easy going guy and doesn't seem to worry or panic much so that only leave hormonal problems - Is there anyone out there who has IBS which is unrelated to their diet???

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
me,i just post that, i'm overwhelm but useless diet.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
read all the last two pages,my post give some info about fructose malabsortion and possible bacterial overgrow

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Choppy foods and stress are tiggers to IBS.also with foods it can be THE ACT OF EATING and not always the foods and foods can trigger IBS for a bunch of different reasons, but in IBS the bowel is reactive to all stimuli.Tired and hot can trigger it also.But make sure the person sees a docotr and gets tested to make sure they have IBS. Very very important.Also even if he is laid back, everyone is under stressors, it doesn't matter, its a deeper issue in how the brain and gut brain functions and communications.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
No, it wont always make a difference if you cut out dairy and fructose and everything. Not everyone is affected by food, sometimes just stress or other things. So definately not always food. Frank, i dont understand what you were saying either.Also, That sounds like a rubbish elimination diet, canned pears and meat? What kind of meat? That sounds like asking for trouble if its red meat- also eggs cause a lot of people problems. So good luck with that one.It might be worth having a look at www.eatingforibs.com to see what would be safer to eat.Nikki

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.