Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Ben and I'm 15. I'm a Sophomore in high school, and have struggled with IBS since the 7th grade. I was almost a straight A student, getting good grades, I had some close friends, but it seems like in just the 3 years I've dealt with this everything has completely gone down the drain. I always get cramps in my waist, right where you would wear a belt. In 7th grade I only went for 3 months of school, but passed because my grades were so high. In 8th grade, I missed around 50-60 days of school, and once again was put through. In 9th grade, I missed about 40-50 days of school. This year, I've missed over a month, and I feel myself getting better and then worse again. I'm on a strict gluten free diet and have been for about 3-4 months after being promised that gluten was definitely the cause of my stomach pain. I have noticed myself being worse whenever I try to eat gluten, but I am still not better at all. I'm still sick just about every day or every other day. I have tested negative for gluten intolerance twice. I've had 2 endoscopy, 1 endoscopy, I have swallowed a camera, had an ulcer test(although it didn't work out all that well because I had to get off the machine because I was sick), 2 cat scans, been on several different anxiety/cramping/laxative/depression medications, gone to two chiropractors, taken digestive enzymes, I've been on the gluten free diet about 2 or 3 times, and a dairy-free diet once. I barely eat at all anymore... but why am I still so sick? I want to go to college, I want to get a good high school education, I'm a smart person. I have special accommodations but often times I just can't push myself to torture myself by going to school. I've lost just about all of my close friends, and I put a lot of the blame on me not hanging out with them because of my IBS and the fear that I will get sick. I am getting desperate and will try anything. Does anyone have any techniques they do or anything they take to reduce the symptoms even a little?

Also my mom was diagnosed with colitis and she also suffered with major stomach problems since she was a kid. She is now 44, on some medications for colitis, and feeling better with the occasional stomach ache. Is it possible I could have colitis? All of the doctors I have been to said that they don't want to run anymore tests because I have already had so many. I can kind of understand this. Does anyone have any suggestions at all? I would appreciate any replies. Thank you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
From what i've seen here you've had 3 endoscopies, if they didn't find colitis it's very likely you don't have it. I know how hard it is to go to school with such problems, but don't doubt yourself for an instant you seem to be pushing hard and getting through this better than many other people on this forum (certainly better than myself). I suggest trying probiotics which have been tested to work with IBS (some people recommend align, it did nothing for me). You can also try enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules but at the end of the day you know what it is the treatment for IBS is primitive and often doesn't work.

I also recommend the FODMAP diet in combination with eliminating any food which cause you pain & suffering - this is the ONLY thing that has helped me.

Please state your symptoms if you have the time.

Usually i would say if your friends didn't stick with you then they aren't real friends, but in this case i doubt many people know what it is to really be ill (at age 15-18), you are not alone - almost anyone who gets diagnosed with a chronic illness, especially IBS/IBD etc. will lose acquantainces. Just try your best to interact when you're feeling okay with others, you should tell them early on that you have health problems so that they understand if you're not able to hold a conversation with them on certain days (etc...)

I wish you and your mom good luck but at the end of the day we all know that doesn't mean anything
sad.png
In truth, I hope you two will be able to accomplish great things or find good treatments that work for you so you can be healthier
smile.png

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.