Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I joined this group b/c I need to know that I'm not the only one going through this and have support. Having IBS makes life very difficult sometimes. I wish there was a cure or a set way to eat. I am thinking of starting a diary.I have been having stomach problems on and off for about 4 years. All throughout school and college I never had any major health problems and was able to eat whatever I wanted and never gain any weight. Now, I realize how good I had it. Once I graduated college, I started to have problems eating and drinking. My doctor diagnosed me with acid reflux, and thankfully I got it under control. Having been diagnosed with acid reflux,I had to quit eating a lot of fatty fried foods a lot and had to give up coffee. Man, I miss coffee and every once in awhile I have a small cup in the morning. It was very hard to learn to give up things, otherwise I would get sick. Once I got my acid reflux under control, I started to feel a little better and things became more normal. After about a year or two, I started to get really sick sometimes with nausea, cramps,vomiting, and occaisonal diarrhea. I also stopped eating as much because I was afraid of getting sick. However, not eating made me feel worse! I went to the doctor and he told me that it sounded like IBS. He was so sure, but we did not run tests at that time b/c I had no insurance. So, I started trying to eat the things he told me and not to eat a lot with corn syrup. Is corn syrup really bad for people? Since then, I have gotten a great job with insurance and been poked and prodded like a lab rat. All of the tests I have taken have come back negative. So, my doctor told me through the process of elimination and b/c of my symptons, I have IBS. It is so hard trying to watch what you eat while at one moment it may not hurt you and at another it might. I have missed so many days of work because I feel too sick to move around and lie in the bed all day. Most mornings I feel nauseous after I eat and sometimes I throw up. I have lost weight because I have been so sick at times. Thankfully, now I think I am gaining a little back because I am eating. I am sick and tired of being afraid to eat because I might get sick. I hate not being able to enjoy my food like most people do. I also get tired of people giving me weird looks when I tell them I have to watch my diet. Does anyone else deal with these issues. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one even though I know it's not true. Oh, and I am also going back to school to get my master's which causes added stress, but I am just dealing with the pain b/c there is no way I am quitting school because of my problem. Does anyone have any suggestions for relieving stress during school?Erin

1 - 1 of 1 Posts