Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my last visit to the hospital two days ago because the pain I am dealing with is only in one spot. It is on my right side behind my lung about 6 or 8 inches above the belt line. Since this pain had been persistent for ten days, I was concerned that this might not be IBS. Is it common to have pain in one localized spot? Also, is it common to have pain this high up in the torso?I do not have any insurance and very little money so I am forced to diagnose myself to a great degree. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Terry, Is this pain new to you? Also, do you still have a Gall Bladder?I would urge you to visit a clinic near you to have this pain investigated.I found a list of clinics in your area.Just click here: http://www.gatewaytocare.org/harris_county_clinics.htm Wish you all the best.BQ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I went to the hospital last Saturday. The doctor thinks this is part of IBS. He took x-rays to check out my lungs and a urine sample to check my kidneys. They were both fine. I appreciate your concern, and thank you for the link about clinics. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced these symptoms.I take Hyoscyamine when needed. I also have Tramadol which the doctor prescribed for pain, but I will not take them unless I just have to. I am concerned that this pain medicine will cause constipation. BTW, I do have my gall bladder.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I had upper right back pain that ended up being a bad gall bladder and not IBS.If the pain gets severe (like 10+ on a scale of 1 to 10) and/or you begin vomiting (tell-tale bad gall bladder sign)I would get to one of the clinics or the ER.Any symptom you have that is new to you should be checked out. So better safe than sorry. So the Doc in the ER thought it was just your IBS? It may be. Everyone's pain is different and some folks can have persistent pain in a local area. The back pain is what got me concerned, cause I thought my bad GB was a pulled back muscle and I thought the accompanying vomitting was my IBS. I was wrong. lol BQ

·
Registered
439 Posts
Terry I agree with BQ to get further medical testing. I had RUQ pain for over 2 yrs, the gallbladder series showed very little. (they don't always show alot) I did however have active ulcer disease in this area and it resulted in a sm bowel obstruction. They did surgery 6 weeks ago and took my gallbladder too. Phew do I ever feel better.Don't take this pain lightly, you need to listen to your body and insist on a full set of testing.Good luck!
Belinda

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your post Belinda. Since I do not have any insurance and am forced to go the the emergency room, it is difficult to get the doctors to do any extensive testing. Thus far I have been to the emergency room three times. If needed I will continue to go there until they do more testing.In following the doctors orders, I have taken a laxative twice since the 14th. I have more problem with constipation than with diarrhea. I am, however, worried about dehydration and loss of potassium and minerals. The doctor prescribed the two medicines listed in one of my previous posts. These medicines help with the symptoms, but they can add to the constipation. Sort of a damned if I do and damned if I don't scenario.It is difficult to pen down what foods cause problems. One person says don't eat this and another person says don't eat that. For instance, one person with IBS told me to not eat white bread; that wheat bread was better. Later another person told me the exact opposite. Also, if I eat four different things during a meal, it is hard to figure out which ones are ok and which ones are not. It appears I have a long way to go before I get a handle on this condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.