Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back to my doc today. She said it was a good thing that I had that darn colonoscopy, 2 of the 7 polyps taken out were precancerous and pretty bad. She put me on lomitol (sp) and bentyl (sp) for cramping. Anyone else have success with either of these?Thanks.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've been taking Lomotil for over 6 years. Not everyday, but probably 5 days a week, at least one pill. I has controlled my D pretty well. Every once in a while it doesn't help, but thankfully those days are rare.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Goingngoing,I've taken both Lomotil (diphenoxylate and atropine) and Bentyl.Lomotil is for D, primarily, and Bentyl is for the cramping. Lomitil does have a small amount of atropine sulfate in it, but in a clinically insignificant amount. Thus, although atropine may have some anti-cramping/anticholinergic effects, the dose in Lomotil is so small that it's unlikely to help with the cramping. They put atropine in the Lomotil to discourage people from taking too much diphenoxylate, which is a relatively long-acting narcotic/opiate.I've found that Imodium works as well, if not better than, Lomotil, even though Lomotil is prescription-only. Further, I have severe D, so I had to take up to 10 tablets a day to help with the D, so at that dose, the atropine made my mouth dry and I had some other undesirable side-effects from the atropine. Nowadays, if I need relief for mild D, I just take Imodium instead -- it works better, it's cheaper (at Costco you can get 100 pills for under $10), and it's not a controlled substance.I never found Bentyl to be that useful for cramping. I've preferred to take Levsin or Librax.Nevertheless, Lomotil and Bentyl have been around for ages, and many people do benefit greatly from them. I find that they both control my symptoms to a degree, but I've found medications that work better for me, given that I have almost no cramps but very severe D.I'm glad they were able to remove the polyps, and I hope you are feeling better.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have bewen on lomotol for several years too. I got imune to Imodium and it stoped working for me. I take Lomotil when I have to go out. About 2 hours before I take 1 or 2. It has worked pkretty good. Like above a few times I still wnet and wondered why.Good luck and take careKat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.