Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken Lomotil for many years, on and off as needed. If I take two tablets in the AM, after about two hours I am diarrhea-free for the rest of the day. I would like to take Lomotil daily, bc I seem to need it most days to get out the door, but have previously been warned by a doctor to take it no more than three days in a row. Does anyone take it daily? Is it safe to take daily? I would like to get other opinions.Thanks.------------------

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Lomotil and Imodium are both drugs that work on the opiod receptors in the gut.But they could work on opiod receptors other places.The drug in lomotil is much more readily absorbed into the body than Imodium and is considered a slight but potential addiction risk. Lomotil aslo has atropine in it that would make taking it to get a buzz fairly uncomfortable as it is an anticholenergic and the side effects at high doses tend to keep people from overdoing it.Imodium for the most part doesn't leave the GI tract so the narcotic problem of it is much less (which is why it is OTC and Lomotil isn't) There is one cause of Imodium addiction, but the guy was already a person with a history of narcotic addiction and had to take 160 or so Imodium a day.If you need it daily it may be better to try Imodium. Or at least alternate the Lomotil with it assuming that both drugs work for yo.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Lomotil and Imodium are both drugs that work on the opiod receptors in the gut.But they could work on opiod receptors other places.The drug in lomotil is much more readily absorbed into the body than Imodium and is considered a slight but potential addiction risk. Lomotil aslo has atropine in it that would make taking it to get a buzz fairly uncomfortable as it is an anticholenergic and the side effects at high doses tend to keep people from overdoing it.Imodium for the most part doesn't leave the GI tract so the narcotic problem of it is much less (which is why it is OTC and Lomotil isn't) There is one cause of Imodium addiction, but the guy was already a person with a history of narcotic addiction and had to take 160 or so Imodium a day.If you need it daily it may be better to try Imodium. Or at least alternate the Lomotil with it assuming that both drugs work for yo.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Kmottus for your reply. I think your suggestion of alternating the two, Lomotil and Immodium, is a good one. Maybe I should save Lomotil for the really bad attacks that seem to occur when there is someplace important to go - nerves play a big part in my IBS. The more important it is to get to something, the worse the diarrhea is.I think I will try your idea.Thanks,Rusty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Kmottus for your reply. I think your suggestion of alternating the two, Lomotil and Immodium, is a good one. Maybe I should save Lomotil for the really bad attacks that seem to occur when there is someplace important to go - nerves play a big part in my IBS. The more important it is to get to something, the worse the diarrhea is.I think I will try your idea.Thanks,Rusty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.