Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if i could get everyones opinion on which of these anti-d drugs work the best and also the pro's and con's of both. I think alot of people would appreciate this information.Thanking you all,Rachell --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RachellI have tried both and found the Lomotil, which is prescription, much more effective than Immodium. Actually, both will prevent episodes from occurring but I found that when the Immodium wears off, I pay for it with a doozy of an episode.I told my Doc about this and he suggested, and then prescribed, the Lomotil because he thought it might be "gentler" in letting me down off of it. In fact, I've found that to be very true (as always, this is very symptom and person specific, so I have to point out that this is MY reaction to the Lomotil) and now take the Lomotil when I have a heavy travel day. Within an hour after taking it (two tabs), I almost feel normal, and go on that way for about 10 to 12 hours. By that time I'm usually at my hotel if I'm traveling, but even then it doesn't really wear off "abruptly". The only real side effect I get from it is the usual dry mouth that a lot of IBS meds produce, and that's it.Anyway, as I said, this is how it all effects me and this is my comparison of the two. I wouldn't be surprised if others have found the opposite. This IBS stuff is all so nuanced for many of us, particularly in how we each respond to drugs. I've tried the Bentyl and found it ineffective, but the Donnatal I'm on now ("as needed") is my day to day med of choice. I've seen many that swear by Bentyl, so...go figure.Hang in...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I completely agree with Bobj. I use my lomotil for heavy artilley days, days when I know I must stop it and keep it stopped for good. I use the immodium when I'm closer to home. It works well without the dry mouth but it's just not as strong as the lomotil. Hope this helps. A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to see y'all have found weapons in the fight too! I have never tried prescription meds... strictly an immodium (loperamide hcl) user... Though, I find myself taking excessive doses, sometimes simultaneously... and when it's a real bad episode, I need to re-deos periodically for a few days, until things settle down. I too believe it depends on the person. I have learned my key Triggers, and I evaluate the degree I have been exposed to them, when deciding what doses to take. Also, pre-dosing before going out to dinner, stressful meeting, etc. seems to work very well for me!Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoops, forgot... Do any of you know what long-term side affects may result from using such meds... especially Loperamide?(As you may have figured from the time this was posted, I'm working through an overnight episode...soooo tired.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i also agree with bobj. lomotil hands down when i want sure fire coverage, if i were going out for the day it would be tea, toast, lomotil(1)thats breakfast. lunch is lomotil first then something very light to eat and tea,definitely no coffee unless i KNOW i'm to be home all day.if i must be out for dinner too its lomotil LIGHT dinner,water frequently during the day as lomotil is somewhat dehydrating. then when i reach the sanctuary of my home i eat whatever i want--and after a dy of light meals i'm ready for something good!! now that i'm on msm i don't rely on lomotil unless i'm going to be in unfamiliar territory and i fear my fear will force me into an episode. it may always be that way,...norma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.