Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am presently taking Lomotil 2 to 3 times a day. I am interested in taking the Calcium instead, and getting off the drugs if possible. Are you saying that if Calcium works for me, I may be able to stop taking the Lomotil, or does the calcium just calm things down a bit and keep the Lomotil handy?This is a great board!!! So glad I found it.bj

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For those that the calcium works for it seems they for the most part can control it most of the time with just the calcium.However, IBS waxes and wanes and what may control it most of the time may not be able to control it when it's having a really bad day. And likely would not control the normal GI upsets that everyone gets (bacteria, viruses, etc that often hit IBSers harder than other people).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello.. I used to take lomitil and switched over to Immodium and finally I can take two pepto Bismol for my stomach and D. I do take calcium and found that three a day has virtually rid me of D. BUT the stomach upset and urgency is still there just less severe. I started taking calcium about one and a half year and really see that it has changed me for the better. However I still will take pepto bismol on the days that my tummy plays up and that is usually when I have some place to go!!! but try the calcium it takes a while to really see the difference but I do not have to walk around with tons of meds anymore. I can see a big change. good luckYou may want to cut down to one lomitil a day until you see a change in the consistency of you BMs. then try the calcium only and you will be able to judge if you can take an Immodium or a weaker one such as pepto bismol. I am happy with PB because it seems less harsh on the system. I really only need it for soothing my tummy and the fact that it is an anti D med too is comforting!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.