Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with ideas I dont want to take immodium it constipates me for days, even a little, and then I get stomach pains. Antispasmodics are good but scared of not getting to toilets because of lots of people waiting.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I dont want to take immodium it constipates me for days, even a little, and then I get stomach pains.
Rhona try something else then... how about the calcium carbonate supplements????

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have bad enough D to take calcium it will also constipate me, it is the urgency thats the problem and the need to go immediately, and the waiting for the loo on a plane, I travel for 24 hours.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
You can practice relaxation techniques and positive thinking to reduce your anxiety which may in turn reduce your fear and therefore any urgency...Have you had a chance to read these?http://www.ibsgroup.org/node/515and http://www.ibsgroup.org/node/516Also you can mention to your flight attendant that you have IBS and therefore may have an urgent for for the bathroom.. or if you think you need it.. bring a note from your physician.

·
Registered
982 Posts
A few suggestions for you:1. Go to the Blog section of this site and look way back for my Blog: IBD/IBS Author. I wrote a post about traveling with IBD or IBS. 2. Join the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America www.ccfa.org and with your membership you get a card that says something like: "I Can't Wait. The holder of this card has a bowel disease that causes them to have to use the bathroom urgently." You could also write out your own card saying something like this. I've used mine a few times to jump a bathroom line. 3. I would also suggest that you book an aisle seat a few rows from a bathroom.4. Also, talk to one of the flight attendants in your cabin and tell them you have a Bowel disease that can mean you urgently have to use the bathroom. And if there's a line could they help you get into the next bathroom. Flight attendants will help you because they don't want you to have a problem because then it becomes their problem.The relaxation techniques are good. Also, take you iPod, books, magazines, etc. to keep yourself occupied and your mind off your gut. You can do it, just go prepared. I travel all over the U.S. and internationally and I have both IBD and IBS. You are smart and right not to take Imodium if you don't have actual D, it can cause problems taking it without actual D. Good luck, you can do it!Elizabeth

·
Registered
195 Posts
I sometimes have to travel for a while for work purposes, plane/train/car, all methods.. Also socially quite regually.What I tend to do to avoid a bathroom rush is watch what I eat in the time building up to the traveling. I am pretty good with food generally, but I will still be on the safe side. Also make sure you allow yourself plenty of time for a comfort break before you get on your filight.. I tend to head straight to the toilet when I get the train station/airport before travelling, even if you are there for 20mins just making sure you have done what you can that will relax you for the initial part of your journey anyway, given that it is a long one.Just try not to worry about it, the more you think you may have a need to go the more likley you will have too I recon.All the best.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyoneThanks for all the great advice, I feel much better now, more in control and will try everything , the best one I think is to try an adult diaper, how marvellous to have so many caring people.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been contemplating a long plane trip myself. I personally would need Immodium, but maybe you could take something a bit less strong like Pepto? I, also, would try to get an aisle seat by the bathroom. One suggestion I didn't see was to possibly ask your doctor for something like Xanax? Just something to help you with anxiety on the flight. I know I would have to do that, and I'm sure it's a pretty common request from people who are nervous fliers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.