Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBS probably 40 years & the older I get the worse it gets. I lost approx 30 lbs last year. My Dr. says don't lose any more weight it's not good for old people. I have been on low FODMAP for last several weeks which seemed to help. I did add back a few foods but no weight gain. I have so many food allergies that seems everything I eat triggers gut pain. I was feeling so good about being able to eat a meal without spending the rest of the day in the toilet. Then yesterday I had probably the worst attack of pain ever. I don't want to get too graphic but I sat on toilet until my legs were numb & back in so much pain I didn't think I would ever be able to get up. I sat at least 1-1/2 hours with pain & D without letup. Everytime I thought it might be over pain & D hit again. That episode has taken the wind out of my sails & I'm back to being afraid to eat again. How do you handle these episodes mentally? I had the thought yesterday on the toilet "what will I do if this D doesn't stop soon"? How could you get to a hospital in that condition? Thanks for listening & help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just curious and you don't have to reveal if you don't wish...vaccinated for COVID? I am and I have to say that in the last 6 months I have never experienced the symptoms I am now having and they seem to be getting worse. I awoke from sleep and spent all last night glued to the commode with what starts as seemingly trapped gas (which in itself is unusual for me). Then, spasms/cramps continued to build over about 3 hours to the point where it was affecting my bladder--that feeling you get when you have a severe UTI and have the rolling pain down to the pubic bone. The only way to get it to stop was Immodium, Tylenol/Ibuprofen, heating pad and sitting/rocking on the edge of my bed until it started to release. This is the very first time I have lost a work day to this in the 40+ years I have had IBS. This is the second such episode like this in the last 3 weeks, prior to that had been doing a bit better overall. Something has changed. I never had pain that lingered like this before. My pain was always during an attack and would go away with elimination. I wish I could offer help. All I can do is offer my empathy and sincere regret that any of us suffer with this "disorder".

About FODMAP...I followed it religiously for the duration suggested and think it did help some, however I never was able to pinpoint anything new and revealing than I already knew. It's not something to sustain and the purpose is to identify triggers so we can avoid them.

Interestingly, I recently saw this article and looks like more research being done on this.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/12/211216092738.htm
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ajcn/nqab337/6382986

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I have not had covid vaccine, not because of political views but because of allergies. I have always had a bad reaction to any vaccine I have taken & I just haven't felt well enough to take on anymore stress at this time. I had hopes I would feel well enough to take it but not sure yet. Your symptoms are cause for concern. I wouldn't be surprised that it was the vaccine but you may never know for sure. I spend a lot of time with my heating pad & sit rocking trying to stop pain until my back will be sore. Most of the people I know in my age group that took the vaccine had no reaction to it at the time. When my husband took it he was very sick for days. Now some of the people are being diagnosed with long term disease & they believe it may have been been caused by vaccine. Thanks for your comments. I hope your symptoms end & don't return.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SedonaDreamin
Just an after- thought, could what you are experiencing be diverticulosis/diverticulitis? Have you had chills or temp?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am over 60 too. I am in my 69th year. I got inklings of IBS coming maybe about 5 years ago, with some unusual bouts of constipation for no reason, and a couple of early morning awakenings with a dash to the loo! then a quick flare which passed, 4 years ago, and didn't come back for 2 years.
But since Spring 2020 it has been more or less set-in, except for remissions which can last days or weeks when I am normal!

I went on low Fodmap diet. A friend had IBS-D for 18 years, and low Fodmap she says cured her. But even some low Fodmap foods can upset my gut. I noticed though, that my safe foods happen to be low Fodmap. Yet I can happily eat honey! And chocolate! No reactions.

Every now and again (when I'm going through a good phase) I try to introduce another food, starting with really low amounts. I am okay at first with that food, but if I do it three or four times, then oops....
Peas, peanuts, avocado, bananas, berries. Can't tolerate them for very long.
I now can't even eat fruit (I do try tiny amounts but it never works), potato skins, quinoa, brown rice, wholemeal bread, most nuts, and a lot of veggies. Even low Fodmap ones. I daren't even look at a tomato or a curry.
I seem to be living on white rice and hard boiled eggs and salmon, with lettuce and kale.

I haven't lost weight. I imagine that's because I can eat simple carbs like peeled potatoes and rice and white toasted bread. But I can't gain weight either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts