Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1999 I was diagnosed as having IBS.The usual symptoms- no appetite, bloating, pain, constipation, urgent need to go to the toilet.However, since around 2004 I've not really suffered with any of the symptoms except bloating.But, I have noticed other symptoms since 2004 and they seem to be getting worse. These include- eyes burning, extreme fatigue, anxiety.Have I been mis-diagnosed for all these years? A student I know who is studying medicine has said to me that the eye burning is typical of Crohns disease.......? That would make more sense than IBS. :(My GP is useless.....he just will not do anything. He thinks I've got some kind of eating disorder....despite weighing 12st!What can I do? I'm really worried about the tests they do for Crohns.....

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
At least go to the doctor and get a complete blood count. If your sedimentation rate is normal (I assume it was back when you were evaluated before) then it is unlikely you have autoimmune problems going on.Other things cause dry and burning eye, you should see an eye doctor for that. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/bur...eyes/causes.htm lists all the causes so it isn't crohns and not much else.If you are losing weight for no reason (eat more than enough calories) and have blood in the diarrhea I would go back to the GI. Constipation is fairly rare with crohns and IBS often causes as much if not more bloating and pain than the autoimmune diseases.Urgency is very common in IBSers because they have rectal hypersensitivity that is not a major feature of autoimmune diseases.Getting a complete blood count at your general doctor is a pretty wise thing to do anyway so if you haven't had that done recently I would do that, and go to the eye doctor to get the eyes checked. The GI doc nor the GP would likely be able to do much for the eyes. Even if it is crohn's likely you'd still need the eye doctor to treat the eye symptoms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With respect, Kathleen, I find it very rude to say that it's 'not Crohns or much else'. I'm going through a terrible time and have been for a decade.I am having eye burning, yes, but I'm also having abdominal pain, fatigue, nausea, discomfort after eating, etc. I am not having const' or diarr'. I cannot muster up enough energy or interest for anything.There must be something more than IBS.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Eye symptoms in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can occur but are fairly rare...I think only 7% of people with ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease have eye problems. Abdominal pain, fatigue and nausea are all also potential symptoms of IBD. Most people do have diarrhea or frequent BM with IBD, but there have been cases when patients do not. It's kind of a question mark as to what's going on with you at this point.I would ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist. Even if it winds up being IBS, gastro docs are a little better than handling us than GPs. If your doctor does want to evaluate for IBD, he/she will probably do the following:1) Blood work - complete blood count, an inflammatory marker (erythrocyte sedimentation rate or ESR; or C-reactive protein; CRP), and possibly thyroid function tests and celiac disease labs2) A colonoscopy - We have topics on this alone, but really it's the prep for the procedure that's the worst part - Taking laxatives for a day to clear you out. Once you're done with the prep though, it's typically a piece of cake (at least mine was)Pending on the results of those, some doctors may order other tests, but those are usually the start points for most. Good luck.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sorry I responded at all. I was not in any way at all trying to minimize your illnesss. REALLY!The comment was meant to imply a lot of things cause dry burning eyes. Lots of things, it isn't specific to crohns and if you have it you must have crohns.. That symptom is seen in few dozen conditions. That wasn't worded well, but I wasn't downplaying your suffering. That is why I posted a link to all the various diseases that cause it and suggest you see an eye doctor to figure out which one it might be so you get the appropriate treatment.GI wise it sounds like IBS.IBS is NOT simply constant diarrhea or constant constipation (although it can be)IBS is painful (while some mild people would have mostly discomfort) and the tiredness that comes from being in pain all the time is very much a part of the disease. It is common for people who have IBS to have as much pain or even more pain that the average person with crohn's or colitis.IBS by itself when you have no other co-morbid conditions can be very severe and make you unable to work or do much of anything. It is not always a mild disease or just a mere nuisance. Many people who have just IBS are severely affected. Sorry if you thought IBS meant I though you had a nothing. I find it can be a very serious disease worthy of treatment and all that, which it often does not get. I don't know why you think I believe it is a nothing disease that should cause no one any problems. I do not feel that way at all. I'm sorry if you thought that was where I was coming from. If you have fatigue that is more than just I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired I wouldn't assume the ONLY other disease it could be is chrons and try to force your doctors to look only for that and insist on that diagnosis especially if you aren't complaining of bloody diarrhea and inexplicable weight loss and your blood work has always been normal for inflammation markers.You may need to be evaluated for fibromyalgia (that is a very common co-morbid condition with IBS) or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If you have no interest in doing anything and nothing ever can make you happy you may also need an evaluation for depression. Depression by itself can cause pain and fatigue (it is a physical disease as much as a mental one).I would also see an eye doctor even if you do not want to because lots of things cause dry and burning eyes and even if it were crohn's you would be sent to the eye doctor to have those symptoms tended to as the GP or GI doc wouldn't be the ones to prescribe things for that.I would also get a complete blood count (and any other routine blood tests like thyroid that may need a check) even if the GI symptoms do not seem to match crohns all that well as anytime you have something new going on it is a good idea as it gets you a lot of information about what might be going on.Anyway, I've clarified myself and I will never respond to you again as worry anything I say will be taken the wrong way and I don't want to upset you more than I already have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.