Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on my 5th day with increasing pain which I initially attributed to trapped gas. Is it possible that this is occuring for this long? Yesterday I took Phazyme (didn't work)and finally Correctol (did work), but the pain is still there. Could it be something else that mimics the pain of "trapped gas" It's to the point where it's not funny anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me add that the pain is very low in the abdomen...not particular to any side. It also hurts when I sit down. Very painful to walk as well :-(

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
From what you are describing it sure could be trapped gas. I get like that all the time and by day 5 would be quite miserable. I am fortunate in that I am usually able to pass it, phazyme is effective for me, BUT no matter what I do or eat or don't eat I still HAVE gas every single day. For the most part I think I am just used to it (and take it GLADLY over chronic D)Have you recently added fiber to your diet? I take fibercon which really helps me (long story to post here)but the downside of this is that I produce much more gas. You might try to get some relief from a hot bath or laying on your side (either one) on a bed or the floor and sort of rocking/rolling from side to side. Hope this helps
------------------Nancy

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I doubt gas could be trapped for more than several hours, let alone whole days. There is no specific pain caused by gas that is "trapped".

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Flux, I hope that one day you will know our pain. Until then I will always take what you have to say with a grain of salt when it comes to gas. The fact is people with IBS feel pain from gas and stool more than people without IBS. I am sure you know this too, but can never really comprehend this. Why is it that patients after abdominal surgery, or after delivery for that matter, feel gas pain and when they begin to pass it feel better? Your gas may not be trapped for more than several hours, however, people with IBS have more spasms which causes stool and gas to be trapped, putting more pressure on the wall of the bowel. This pressure is perceived as pain for people with IBS. That is just the way it is, always was, and will be until a miracle happens for us. You should count your blessings!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.