Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Long Time Suffers, This One's For You

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  doghouse 
G
#1 ·
The vast majority of us seem to agree that we have some foods that tend to "trigger" our IBS. My question to you all is this, have you found that your "triggers" change? Can you all of a sudden handle something you couldn't before or can't handle something that you could before?My husband and I love to go to the movies. We are so brainwashed, that our first reaction is to run to the concession stand when we get there. I have finally learned that even a little bit of popcorn doesn't work and don't want to torture my husband by telling him he can't eat it. I am hoping that maybe sometime in the distant future I can eat popcorn again. For now though, I can handle a big gooey plate of nachos with jalepenos.Thanks for your input.Chris------------------Live life to its fullest!!

#2 ·
chris, after 26 years i would have to say that there is no rhyme or reason for me. just when i think a food is a trigger i can eat it and do quite well. i believe that for me my mind, body and soul may play a bigger role in my ibs than the food that i actually eat. obviously we are all here to exchange experiences and information; if we had definitive answers we wouldn't be here. caltrate has been my best answer to date.

#3 ·
Yep, yep, YEP! It's one of the things that drives me crazy about IBS! One day you can eat something, then you can't! I don't know of any foods that I've been able to come back to, though - at least not on a permanent basis.------------------"When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize my friends are my energy." (anonymous) Missycat

G
#4 ·
Thanks for your posts. I have also found that I can occassionally sneak in some lettuce, but not very often. Everything else seems to be a no no.I have been using the caltrate for a few weeks and decided to test the popcorn. Big mistake and not one I plan on repeating any time soon.Thanks again for your input!!Chris

G
#5 ·
I make the same mistake from time to time as earlier posts will testify. It kinda doesn't make sense to try foods that have been triggers in the past but after many months or a year or two have gone by curiousity gets the best of us and usually the results ain't pretty. lol.

G
#6 ·
I can usually eat low-fat microwave popcorn but the last time I ate movie popcorn I was in agony for 2 days--go figure (there must be a LOT of fat on that stuff even if you don't have them put "butter" on it)! But most of the time the same things will react on me and have for years. The calcium has helped some, some times, but not always! I'm one of those who just says to hell with it and eats things once in a while when I know I shouldn't, just because I've had this damn stuff for so long that I figure if I wait for a cure I'll NEVER get to eat what I want!

G
#7 ·
Odeal, from what I've read of your posts, you and I are a lot alike. My family thinks I am retarded or something because I will ocassionally eat something that I know will set me off. They don't realize what it feels like to go without something you really enjoy as they are completely healthy. Actually, my husband is now having to suffer as he recuperates from stomach surgery. Just to be mean, when we went to the movies last week, I had to torture him and ate popcorn. I paid for it that evening and the next day, but at least I got my point across to him. When he is recuperated, I bet he will think twice about ordering the popcorn!!Chris

G
#8 ·
this is the first time i have even thought about checking on ibs online. sitting here in agony pushed me to do so. i just finished eating dinner and it just gets me so pissed off when i eat something i've been eating for years and it triggers a stomach ache! it is so frustrating. it does feel good to know i am not alone
thanks

#11 ·
God, would I love a plate of snow crab legs or a triple scoop of Baskins-Robbins peanut butter and chocolate ice cream. (No, I'm not pregnant, these are just two of my trigger foods.) Part of my problem is I know that my list of trigger foods is actually longer than it needs to be. But, I'm afraid the anxiety over re-trying a food I suspect of being a trigger would bring on an attack, anyway. So, if someone could sneak some snow crab meat into my chicken, and then tell me afterwards, "Look, Kate, you ate CRAB LEGS, and you're fine," that would be great.kate

G
#12 ·
I know what you all mean about having your favorite foods all of a sudden become trigger foods. My absolute favorite meal is a cinammon raisin bagel with Peanut Butter and Jelly. I have been eating these since I was in kidnergarten (although the bagel was usually two slices of Wonder Bread instead when I was that young).Well, all of a sudden, even the slightest bit of PB & J brings on the worst IBS symptoms, including extreme pain and non-stop 'd' for a day and a half. I know that it is the PB & J causing the problems as I have tried to eat it a couple of times under different circumstances, all to wind up with the same results.Other favorite trigger foods: Anything with a Mc in front of it, and Baskin and Robbins Chocolate Cookie Dough ice cream. Oh, the good old days of being able to eat both trigger foods (before IBS) on the same day!!!Maybe....one day again.....keeping my spirits up!

G
#13 ·
Kate-TN, Crab legs trigger you also? I have always eaten a lot of crab and shrimp without any problem. I have only had IBS for like 2 years, but for the last 6 months, whenever I eat any crab or shrimp its straight to the bathroom and I also get really dizzy. I miss eating those crab legs too!

#14 ·
That's the reason I eat whatever I want and if I suffer later, so be it. Because there are times when a certain thing will trigger an attack and other times when that same thing won't. I live dangerously, I guess. But, I have been pretty lucky most of the time.

#15 ·
Since I realized that the common denominator trigger for me seems to be corn products of all kinds, I have been fairly certain of what has caused each of my attacks. Unfortunately, corn seems to be in so many things...did you know that most baking powder is corn starch?If I OD on garlic, that causes a little trouble too, but in small amounts, no problem.

G
#16 ·
Read the book "Quality Longevity" by Lovendale. He's got this theory about delayed food allergies - I won't go into detail, but he stresses food rotation to avoid developing an intolerance to a previously "safe" food. I had the same problems until I started following the diet routine outlined in his book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.