Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start out with, I'm not even sure if this is the right site to be on for what I'm looking for. My grandmother had a Whipple procedure done two years ago to remove a 15 pound tumor that was in her stomach area. The doctors had to take some small intestine, the head of her pancreas, and part of her colon. The procedure itself went fairly well. The complication arose afterward. She was using the restroom urgently as many as 30 or more times in a single day and lost 50 pounds in the span of two months. The doctor still isn't sure what is wrong, but believes he nicked a nerve that was the 'on-off switch' and it became stuck on 'go'. He prescribed her Tincture of Opium every four hours. This has brought it under some kind of control, but she still has to use the bathroom as many as 10 times a day depending on what she eats. This is on top of the fact that the medicine costs about $1400 every three months since her insurance is hit or miss as to whether they want to cover it. My question is, are there any treatments that might do any better, more economically, and without being such a hassle to get a prescription written for? She has been through 5 gastroenterologists in these two years because they become reluctant to write a prescription for such a major league medication, even though that is the only thing that anyone has found that has helped her any. We are about to run out of doctors to turn to without driving >100 miles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.