Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just joined the support group and was hoping I could get some help. I have been having stomach pains, cramping, off and on D. I also have pain on my sides pretty much all the time. The pains and cramping are constant and intensify after I eat most anything. I have tried jello, broth, you name it. Anyway, it's been about 5 months now and I have lost 48 pounds and the doctors have put me through a battery of tests without any results. I'm about to lose my mind. Does anyone with IBS have these same symptoms? Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Pacaman. Sounds like your dr. did his work by running tests. Have you read through the diagnostic criteria for ibs? Do you have any 'red flag' symptoms like blood in stool, pain/diarrhea that wakes you at night etc.? The only advice I can offer is to try heat when possible and ask your dr. for an anti-spasmodic to help with the pain & cramping. God Bless, Softy.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Pacaman. Sounds like your dr. did his work by running tests. Have you read through the diagnostic criteria for ibs? Do you have any 'red flag' symptoms like blood in stool, pain/diarrhea that wakes you at night etc.? The only advice I can offer is to try heat when possible and ask your dr. for an anti-spasmodic to help with the pain & cramping. God Bless, Softy.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The pain may be that in everyone the colon becomes more active every time you eat anything, no matter what it is.Since the pain is even with the limited diet, I would start eating normally and make sure that stops the weight loss.In IBSers often they feel "normal" sensations as painful.Usually antispasmodics or antidepressants can ease the pain quite effectively.I found Cog. Behav. Therapy helped me to reduce the pain without drugs. Many find the HT at www.ibsaudioprogram.com helps a lot with that as well.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The pain may be that in everyone the colon becomes more active every time you eat anything, no matter what it is.Since the pain is even with the limited diet, I would start eating normally and make sure that stops the weight loss.In IBSers often they feel "normal" sensations as painful.Usually antispasmodics or antidepressants can ease the pain quite effectively.I found Cog. Behav. Therapy helped me to reduce the pain without drugs. Many find the HT at www.ibsaudioprogram.com helps a lot with that as well.K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Softy, thanks for the advice, i'll try the heat. I am seeing a new dr. next week, i'll ask about the anti-spasmodic. I have read the criteria for ibs, no blood in stool. The pain in my sides does make it more difficult to sleep. I have also read that weight loss is not usual with ibs, is that correct. Again, thanks for the advice, anything else you can think of would be appreciated. I am willing to do about anything to try and get my life back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Softy, thanks for the advice, i'll try the heat. I am seeing a new dr. next week, i'll ask about the anti-spasmodic. I have read the criteria for ibs, no blood in stool. The pain in my sides does make it more difficult to sleep. I have also read that weight loss is not usual with ibs, is that correct. Again, thanks for the advice, anything else you can think of would be appreciated. I am willing to do about anything to try and get my life back.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Weight loss that is out of proportion with eating habits is a sign it might not be IBS.But like anybody, if you stop eating normal amounts of food to avoid symptoms, just like anyone else you will lose weight.It is worth checking how many calories you eat a day and see if it makes sense. If you are dropping weight and eating 1000 calories a day, that is very normal, if you are eating 2500, or what you need to maintain weight...that is a signal it could be something else.A friend of mine with crohn's when he was in college would eat seconds and thirds at almost every meal AND eat a large pizza by himself for a midnight snack and still was losing a bunch of weight.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Weight loss that is out of proportion with eating habits is a sign it might not be IBS.But like anybody, if you stop eating normal amounts of food to avoid symptoms, just like anyone else you will lose weight.It is worth checking how many calories you eat a day and see if it makes sense. If you are dropping weight and eating 1000 calories a day, that is very normal, if you are eating 2500, or what you need to maintain weight...that is a signal it could be something else.A friend of mine with crohn's when he was in college would eat seconds and thirds at almost every meal AND eat a large pizza by himself for a midnight snack and still was losing a bunch of weight.K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts