Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess I should start off with a brief history of how it started. I started to get sick at the start of my senior year in HS (Sept 06) and I got progressively worse very quickly and dropped out by Nov-Dec. Tests and procedures later it was found my gallbladder wasn't working. It was removed summer of 07. But I still had continuing symptoms; Many foods would irritate my stomach, irregular bowel habits, etc. More tests, procedures and doctors later my current gastroenterologist says it's IBS-C (although recently I'm think it's A). Because I told him I was straining to go (Initially I can poo fine but after the first one or two it becomes a fight with my bowels to expel the rest) he ordered a defecography which, as every other test has, came back normal.To my point.Because of the IBS/anxiety I cannot work and thus have to rely on others for finance. Because I have little money I am not able to try different meds my doc prescribes or OTC items very often or for prolonged periods. I saw a lot of discussion on here regarding probiotics and from what I've seen they seem to be relatively cheap. I have essentially no knowledge on the subject and was wondering if someone could tell me a brand they've had success with or a certain one I should be looking for based on my symptoms.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you tried diet adjustments? Eliminating fatty foods, refined sugars, hard to digest fiber, etc.? There is a fair amount of discussion on these forums about diet. Personally, I have been finding that diet changes help a lot, especially regarding eating soluble fiber foods (rice, bananas, etc.) as a base before eating other foods. If you haven't already explored this route, it would be a relatively inexpensive approach in comparison with taking supplements, probiotic or otherwise. Making these diet changes takes time and energy and commitment though, because you have to prepare most of your own food. Then again, considering the alternative...!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.