Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,Saw my GI today...I liked him even though myappointment was 2 hours earlier than the actual time...the wait was frustrating...He wants to do both ends at the same time..thinks we should do the upper for the pain on the right side and then do the colonscopy cause of my dad dying of colon cancer....darn, no pills for the prep...opted for the Phospho soda instead of that gallon of stuff...this is gonna be tough enough...so, 8am on the 16th is THE DAY...I go to the local hospital and I told them I am a BIG baby and don't want any pain..the nurse said I'd be sleeping through them...hour in recovery..so...anyone else do the double scopes? love to hear anything..Scared of course and just want it over with!! have my follow up appointment for the 20th so I guess I will have to wait till then for the results..Thanks guys!PM

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Never, had two at once Pookie, but hang in there it will be over soon and that will be done with and give you peace of mind. Its good there putting you out. Your doing the right thing with having the tests done.------------------I work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
304 Posts
My doctor calls it "a double header"! I had them two years ago and they were both a breeze. I had a hard time believing he even did the upper endoscopy but I had the pictures to prove it! Eat extremely lightly two days before the procedures and drink clear liquids only the actual day before. Drink lots of water, as well. Best wishes!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Pookie, Sorry about your Dad. He'll be in my prayers. About the scopes, never had the double header. However, I just think it is GREAT that your Dr. is thinking so much of you! How great is it to get them both over with at one time???? 1 prep, 1 fast, 1 day, everything done! I really like guys who consider the patients total well being, sounds like your guy is super. I'm sure your a little nerve wracked, but honestly, I can tell you the colonoscopy itself was a breeze, & I've heard similar reactions to the upper scope. So the only nasty is the fleets, what? more time in the bathroom??? I'll bet you got plenty of experience there
. Remind us, will you, as you get closer to the date, so we can offer you good thoughts & prayers. BQ

·
Registered
732 Posts
Mom,Well I've had each separately and once had them both at the same time... that was about six weeks ago.You chose a terrible prep.... but it is better than the golytely. When you take the fleets, the best thing is to get the concentrate and mix it with ginger ale or sprite.... then it is just horrible. Also, don't leave home cause in 30 min to an hour it hits!!! I've done both and the golytely take forever.As for the procedure they they usually mix demerol and versaid (sp?). The demerol relaxes you and the versaid causes amnesia. Most people make it through with no memory, I've come to during each but they put you back out real quick. Also, these two may loosen your tongue.... I have said things in recovery (told to me by my wife) that I had no memory of whatsoever.Best thing about the whole thing is that it is the best method for diagnosis of what may be ailing you.... except for me. Both times were a big zero... so we eliminated everything but IBS.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi Pookie's Mom,I had a double endoscopy just under a month ago and it was a breeze - I even did mine without any sedation - and I'm the biggest chicken in the world when it comes to stuff like that - I came out of the hospital like a proverbial cheshire cat - I had built it up into this terrifying event in my mind - and then when I actually had it only a few moments of discomfort and it was all over - and I was like "what did I make all that fuss for?".You'll be just fine, once you've had that sedation you'll be so relaxed you won't remember a thing.Also the best thing about having them both at the same time is that it gets it all over and done with and then not long to wait for the results.Good Luck,Clair

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi Pookie,All testing is scary..I think because everybody is always afraid the results might turn up something serious. I think you are lucky your doctor is opting for both tests. As somebody said a one time prep and they are both over with. Once you get past the prep, the rest is easy. When they give you the meds, you will be in la-la land and won't give a hoot what is going on, and when you wake up, it will be all over and you will have some answers, which I am sure will put your mind at ease. Let us know how it goes. Bye the way, I did try the Kondremul, but it didn't do a thing for me. Do you have to take it for a few days in order for it to work, or did it work right away for you? Is it still working???------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a great bunch of people
thanks for the suggestions, the shared experience! I am keeping this page in my bookmarks so I can read them all again when I get spooked!!!HDOG...great suggestion!!! will do that!Eric BQ and CE CE...thanks very much
Clancy, my choice
could have had the gallon of stuff...didn't want it..I did ask for the pills but they said not available yet??? I know others have had them so dunno unless the insurance won't cover them?Clair...what a trooper
I hope I will be as positive as you!!!Rose....yes, it takes a few days to start working...and yes, I'm still using it. As with anything we use, our darn bodies get use to it but I can't do the fiber bit anymore...too many cramps. So on bad days, I may cheat and take 3 Tbs...hope it works for you!!!Today is day one of my countdown
13 days to go....my tummy is sore today and kinda had a hard time sleeping from pain cause of the exam..pushing hard on my stomach I guess woke the monster in there...be glad when this is ALL overwith..Thanks again for your support...it makes things less scary and easier to go through with all the great help here
BIG HUGS to everyone!PM

G

·
I hope it's not too late to reply to your concerns...I am very new to this site and these discussions, but I just had a colonoscopy in Feb. and the endoscopy in Mar. (no double-header for me).Anyway, I had golytely as the prep for the colonscopy and it was pretty awful, but really not much different than a bad day of IBS. I did wake up during the exam and it was uncomfortable, and I remember telling the doctor that, but it was not painful or anything like that.The prep for the endoscopy is nothing (just fast) and I have no memory of anything after I asked "should I be feeling a bit dizzy?" and they had me put in the mouth guard so I wouldn't bite the scope tube. So that was a breeze.I would go through both again in a minute because they ruled out cancer, polyps, Crohns, and colitis. I appreicated hearing those positive reports!I think you are lucky to have both tests at the same time and get the results right away. Good luck!------------------kamaha

·
Registered
207 Posts
You'll do just fine. I was really anxious before I had my colonoscopy, too. It turned out that the prep was the worst part. I was really afraid that I was going to be in a lot of pain and that I wouldn't be able to go through with it, but everything went ok. The hospital will give you drugs to calm you and ease the pain. They gave me Versed (which puts you in a sort of amnesiac-like state) and Demerol (a powerful opioid painkiller, like morphine). I only remember bits and pieces of the procedure, and afterwards I felt fine. Good luck and take care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.