Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I can say that it's both nice (everyone so helpful and supportive) and not so nice (been feeling in control last 1.5 years). However, here I am looking for anyone who can relate to the ADHESION dilemma. 3 years ago, when I first experienced the adhesions, not many here were realting with the problems of IBS and adhesions, however, I read many good postings from those who now have. I guess I begin by telling you all I've had 2 laparoscopied done in Sept 99 and Aug 00 to remove abdominal adhesions. My last experience however ended up a nightmare! I had a reaction to the anesthesia and was shaking uncontrolably. A neurology consult was called and this guy diagnosed me with seizures. However, while on the seizure med, I ended up having toxic levels in my system and for the next two months had to "withdrawal" from the med...through which I lost my job. As for today, I have been having the "same pain" for the past 3 weeks and it is only getting worse! I am really scared, as I don't want anything like last time to happen, if I do have another scope, and I also don't know if my insurance (which I have to pay for individually) will cover anything. My fiancee and I are going through some very stressful times now, and I know that me being in pain, is not helping anything now. (I appologize for being so blunt about my next statement...but our intimite moments have become completely complicated as they only make the pain worse!) I know he understands this, but I also know how frustrating it is for us both! I just feel that I am in a catch 22 no matter what way I look at things. It seems like I just have to expect that within a 1-2 year time frame, I should just have the appointment scheduled as I know what to expect. I am only 24 years old and already have a great track record! (sorry for the sarcasim..just venting and trying to laugh at myself a little!)I know from the past that you all give great support and words of encouragement and advice. Anything you might have to offer, I would greatly appreciate! Thanks for taking the time to read this and listen! Heather (hak1luv###aol.com)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What a bad night...pain!!!!I'm trying to figure out what insurance plan I should chose in order to have coverage before I go back to see the doc,and find out what he wants to do.It's all so frustrating...there's 4 different plans to choose from and they all cost an arm and a leg, without any guarentees that they will cover my problem and the physician I want to go back to. It's such a catch 22...I've been on the phone 3 times already asking questions..and I'm still confused! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a bad night...pain!!!!I'm trying to figure out what insurance plan I should chose in order to have coverage before I go back to see the doc,and find out what he wants to do.It's all so frustrating...there's 4 different plans to choose from and they all cost an arm and a leg, without any guarentees that they will cover my problem and the physician I want to go back to. It's such a catch 22...I've been on the phone 3 times already asking questions..and I'm still confused! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hey HAK! I just stopped by to say hello.
I haven't seen you post here in a long time. I'm sorry to hear of your pain. I can't help you in that dept.
Anyways...My best to you and your health. :love:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hey HAK! I just stopped by to say hello.
I haven't seen you post here in a long time. I'm sorry to hear of your pain. I can't help you in that dept.
Anyways...My best to you and your health. :love:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi John, thanks for the reply, much appreciated. It feels good knowing some of you remember me. Thanks for the words of encouragement.They've helped in the past, so I'm hoping they work now! I will keep you posted...hope to hear again from you soon.Heather

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi John, thanks for the reply, much appreciated. It feels good knowing some of you remember me. Thanks for the words of encouragement.They've helped in the past, so I'm hoping they work now! I will keep you posted...hope to hear again from you soon.Heather

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well HAK, that is the problem with adhesions. You can get them removed but they can come back twice as bad as they were before. I am suprised that your Dr did not mention this. Were barriers used to try and retard the formation of more adhesions? I have them on my bladder and on the outside of my intestines. I had them removed once after a c-section because my bladder was all twisted, unfortunately they reformed. I do not suggest another surgery to remove them because they are reforming and may get worse. I think this is something you really have to talk to your Dr about and see if they have any other alternative suggestions.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well HAK, that is the problem with adhesions. You can get them removed but they can come back twice as bad as they were before. I am suprised that your Dr did not mention this. Were barriers used to try and retard the formation of more adhesions? I have them on my bladder and on the outside of my intestines. I had them removed once after a c-section because my bladder was all twisted, unfortunately they reformed. I do not suggest another surgery to remove them because they are reforming and may get worse. I think this is something you really have to talk to your Dr about and see if they have any other alternative suggestions.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Nichol, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have discussed things with my doctor in during the first two times I went through this and he did use a barrier cream the second time to help prevent them from returning. It did help as it has been 18 months since the last surgery verses only 11 months after the first one. I have also discussed other management ways with him and other than pain meds, he does not feel any are sucessful. I have tried numerous things on my own and haven't found anything helpful, other than narcotics, which I have resorted to again now. I am not happy with that temporary solution, as it really makes me "loopy". I am willing to go through another laparoscopy to remove them, if he is willing to do it again, as it is the only way I can get relief. Hopefully with the new barriers they are creating, my time between attacks will continue to increase and maybe someday they will be able to tell me why I even had adhesions in the first place. Thanks again for your input.Heather

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Nichol, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have discussed things with my doctor in during the first two times I went through this and he did use a barrier cream the second time to help prevent them from returning. It did help as it has been 18 months since the last surgery verses only 11 months after the first one. I have also discussed other management ways with him and other than pain meds, he does not feel any are sucessful. I have tried numerous things on my own and haven't found anything helpful, other than narcotics, which I have resorted to again now. I am not happy with that temporary solution, as it really makes me "loopy". I am willing to go through another laparoscopy to remove them, if he is willing to do it again, as it is the only way I can get relief. Hopefully with the new barriers they are creating, my time between attacks will continue to increase and maybe someday they will be able to tell me why I even had adhesions in the first place. Thanks again for your input.Heather

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.