Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader - first time poster. So first of all, thanks for everything you guys have added, blogged and talked about in the past, it's been a huge aid in dealing with this.My question is whether anyone else has similar symptoms and what have you done about it. I never have straight up D, it's always just loose stools, but no matter what after I go to the bathroom I still feel like I have to go. When I do go, it's usually not a lot in volume either. The feeling never really goes away, I used to feel relieved after using the bathroom pre-IBS, but now I dread going to the bathroom. No matter what I'm doing, all day the subject of "Do I have to go right now?" is going through my head, I literally cannot get it out of my head, and I think when you're thinking about it 24/7 it makes it pronouncedly worse. Not to mention it's hard to concentrate and as a current college student I can see my grades are suffering and it's no doubt in relation to this. I go anywhere from 1 (those are reeeaalllly good days) to 8 times a day, but feel like I have to go all the time (and mornings are worse). On top of that when I do have to go it's usually urgent which brings me to the anxiety portion. I've read lots of posts about anxiety and IBS so I don't feel I can add a whole lot to the topic. But I'm just trying to have a good time at college but find myself declining invitations to go out, avoiding the topic of spring break with friends because I can't even fathom traveling feeling like this. This all leads me to be pretty locked up in my dorm room. When I do make it out (after a solid dosage of Immodium) I'm so anxious all I can think about is "what if..." I'm sure you know the feeling and find myself spending all my energy trying to find where the closest bathrooms are and telling myself to calm down and not to worry and end up just in general not having a good time going out. I know if I'm sitting at home with nothing going on later, I feel much better, and the minute I know I have an appointment or a class to go to in a couple of hours my stomach tenses up and find myself heading for the bathroom. I don't know what came first the anxiety or the IBS and whether I have IBS because of anxiety or I have anxiety because of IBS (I suspect the latter) but either way I dream of a day when bowel movements aren't the first thing on my mind, I really think if I could get it out of my head 24/7 it might not be so bad. I almost had to cancel on the dentist the other day, not because I'm so afraid of having dental work done (although, who isn't?) but because all I could think about was "What if I really have to go in the middle of them drilling..." for a good 24 hours prior to the appointment too it was all that was on my mind, worry, worry, worry.I'm just really frustrated trying to enjoy college since those are supposedly your "best years" and have yet to find any fun in then. Just sitting through a one hour class is becoming difficult and a big deal for me.I've tried or am still on: Cholestyramine, Calcium, Acupuncture, Chinese Herbs, Probiotics (several different brands), fiber fiber fiber (just seems to make those loose ones a little bit bigger), antibiotics for a possible SIBO, St. John's Wort, Valerian Root, Slippery Elm, 5-HTP, Hypnotherapy (not the IBS 100 audio program unfortunately), two different diets (The SCD and FODMAP diet), progressive relaxation techniques, had a colonoscopy, gluten-intolerance test, c.diff testThe only things I haven't been on are anti-anxiety and anti-depressants and not by my choice. My GI doctor said he would only prescribe ADs (specifically amitryptiline, or elavil, or something, I don't remember 100% what he said) if I had pain (and luckily I do not) - he tells me that's what ADs in low doses are used for in IBS patients, but if I'm not mistaken I've read a couple of posts on here stating that ADs have helped their D with no mention of the pain. But really at this point I'm feeling like I need an AD or Antianxiety for the anxiety itself. So I have an appointment with another doctor next week and am wondering what questions you guys think I should be asking. Or what other OTC/natural remedies do you guys think I should try for the anxiety, urgency, incomplete feeling, and I guess IBS in general. Sorry that got kind of long...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi ECBI know exactly how you feel and have very similar symptoms. The anxiety seemed to get out of control recently and I tried various anti-depressants. You don't have to be depressed or in pain for these to be beneifical. In the end I found I was better on seroxat than anything else. Tried amytriptyline but it just made be too dopey and didn't really affect the bowels very much in a positvie way. Seroxat has made me much calmer and that in itself helps with my loose stools. Nevertheless, when very anxious ie going to the dentist or meetings then I take diazepam. I only use these when absolutely necessary and came by them when a relative died. Haven't asked the GP for them but will next time I go. Don't know whether he will prescribe them but if not will have to get them elsewhere which would be appalling but I need to do what I need to do to live with this. I think it is a very reasonable request to ask for something to help with the anxiety. IMO the IBS causes much more anxiety than the other way around. Good luck

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually IBS diarrhea tends to be loose stools rather than copious watery diarrhea.If you have frequent watery diarrhea that often is an indicator something else may be going on (a few IBS-D types may have that, but more often something else is going on).Have the relaxation stuff and hypnotherapy all been general rather than CBT or hypnotherapy directed specifically for treating IBS?Are you willing to try Imodium? Usually 2X a day at the lowest dose possible (so still have a BM or two every day)

·
Registered
311 Posts
i hear what u r saying & completely sympathize...........i could say so much to u, but u might want to just scan my other posts here..........one thing i did c is that u take 5HTP.........have u tried tryptophan, pharmaceutical grade, with P5P, niacin, B2, chelated magnesium & vitamin C?..............if u haven't, u might want to try it.........i've done both of these & the tryptophan seems to work better & differently...........for me, i had to divide the capsules, couldn't take the 500mgs.........also, of those other vitamins, they r needed to convert the tryptophan to 5HTP & get it into the brain...........now i know that sounds kind of why do that, when i can just take 5HTP..........what i understand is in the human body, there is not just one reason for things in it, stuff never does just one thing........all i can tell u is they feel different.......also, u only need small amounts of those other things..........the tryp did feel different & worked better......................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies.Petra- I'll ask about those during my upcoming meeting with my doc.crstar - Thanks for the input, I haven't tried it yet! I just picked up some tryptophan (pharm. grade + others), 500mg capsules. I'm going to take one a little later, my only question is, it says and I've heard it aids in sleeping, should I take it before bed, or does it matter?Kathleen - I'm considering CBT, but haven't made any appointments or found an appropriate therapist, and am considering the IBS audio program, but there's only so much money to go around if you know what I mean. And I have tried Immodium, the effects I get from it usually don't happen till at least 3 hours after taking the dosage, and then I feel stuffed the next day horribly, even on just 2 a day, but I do take it when I absolutely need it, usually half a pill here and there. I'm absoultely fine having 1 or 2 BMs a day, I just can't stand this urgency, loose stools, anxiety, and feeling as though I always need to go.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The hypnotherapy CD's are pretty cost effective when they work (unless you've got good insurance for the mental health part) because it is about the cost of one session.You may also check out this site http://www.ibshypnosis.com and see if any of the therapists in your area have been trained for the IBS hypnosis (more people have training for the IBS hypnosis than for CBT for IBS from what I've heard) but some of them are the kind of people who may be trained in CBT so may be able to translate things over or know something about CBT specifically for IBS.Imodium does take awhile to kick in which is why sometime regular dose is better than just trying to wait until you can't take it anymore. It can be too strong for some people (you might see if Pepto Bismol on a regular schedule works as it is not as strong, but I don't know if it battle urgency issues like Imodium can).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.