Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That thing is available in Europe.How come we don't have people talking about it?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Resolor was approved in Germany in January of this year.It can take several months from when it is technically approved and ready to go before people actually get their hands on it, and I'm not sure how many German posters we have so it may take awhile before we get any first hand reports. However, if anyone has anything to report, please post.

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
hi spasman!yeah i've been wondering about that too since movetis announced on march 24 that resolor is now available in the uk. although of course like kathleen said sometimes it takes a while....but hopefully some of our uk members will be able to try it real soon and report back to us... http://www.movetis.com/journalists/press-r...urce=journalist

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
oh and one thing i've found--it can help to be proactive about obtaining new drugs once they are available.. i've had chronic insomnia for over twenty years. when i first read about lunesta being developed i began watching the sepracor website like a hawk. once they announced lunesta was available in the states i printed out the info, took it to my doc, got a script and took that into cvs pharmacy. they told me they didn't have lunesta yet. i went home, found it available on their website, went back and told them they had it on the web. they kept my script, made some phone calls, and a couple days later phoned me to tell me my script had been filled and to come pick it up. hooray!!i plan to do the same thing once i hear resolor is approved here. can't wait!!!

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
thanks for the update, claire louise. yes, i hope they hurry it up--good luck! thanks for keeping us posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just saw a new GI doctor this week and I mentioned Resolor and he acted like he knew nothing about it. My PCP recommended him since she said he leaned towards natural things. Ha...he gave me samples of Amitiza and talked about having a portion of my colon removed. He told me to stop taking Correctol ...the only thing that works for me and also has no side effects. He said it was dangerous to use...would make my colon immobile....well it already is. I had to wait an hour while he was talking to a drug rep. It's all about $$$ for some of them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The problem is that I think even if your doctor gives you a prescription in the US it is still not legal to bring it in because it is not FDA approved...??? Does anyone know how this works, can we order it ?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is not true that if the FDA did not approve it you cannot import it. You aren't supposed to import drugs that ARE approved in the USA, you are supposed to get those from a USA pharmacy and doctor.
The General Guidance Section states that FDA should consider not taking enforcement actions against such importation:"when 1) the intended use {of the drug} is unapproved and for a serious condition for which effective treatment may not be available domestically either through commercial or clinical means; 2) there is no known commercialization or promotion to persons residing in the U.S. by those involved in the distribution of the product at issue; 3) the product is considered not to represent an unreasonable risk; and 4) the individual seeking to import the product affirms in writing that it is for the patient's own use (generally not more than 3 month supply) and provides the name and address of the doctor licensed in the U.S. responsible for his or her treatment with the product or provides evidence that the product is for the continuation of a treatment begun in a foreign country." (Emphasis added)The above guidance does not specify that a U.S. citizen may import an unapproved drug only with a prescription from a U.S. licensed physician, or that a foreign citizen may import an unapproved new drug only with a foreign prescription. Rather, to ensure that the importation is for personal use only (and not for resale), and to ensure that the use of the unapproved new drug sought to be imported into the U.S. is supervised and does not represent an unreasonable risk, the guidance provides that the individual affirm in writing that the drug is for his or her personal use, and provide either the name and address of the U.S. licensed physician who will supervise its use or some evidence that the treatment was begun in a foreign country and that the drugs are being imported to continue/conclude the already begun treatment. Thus, while not the only documentation, either a U.S. or foreign prescription, along with an affirmation of personal use, could be supplied as evidence that this factor exists.
http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ImportProgram/ucm173751.htmI don't know how tightly they regulate importation, the big thing is making sure the pharmacy you get it from is legit and actually IN the country where the drug is approved and not just a front for counterfeit drugs.

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
kathleen--thanks so much for that information. i've been wondering about this for quite a while.

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
oh claire louise---that's wonderful news!!! hooray!! hooray!!thanks so much for telling us and please keep us posted.i'm so excited and happy for you!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
oh claire louise---that's wonderful news!!! hooray!! hooray!!thanks so much for telling us and please keep us posted.i'm so excited and happy for you!!!
Lol Annie, thank you! I'm not particularly hopeful when trying new medications these days as I've tried so many (literally dozens) over the past few years and not one of them has helped, but your enthusiasm has made me feel optimistic.
I won't be able to get the actual medication for a few days as I have to go to the hospital pharmacy to pick it up (ridiculous, but I'm not complaining), but I will definitely keep you all posted. I hope others in the uk will be able to get hold of it too now - if your doctor isn't helpful, be persistent, it is available!

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
oh yes i do so know exactly what you mean about trying new meds...when you're suffered for so long and you've tried everything...well it's hard to get your hopes up after being disappointed so many times...but this is so exciting! resolor has had great success in the clinical trials. and it sounds like it works a lot like zelnorm. did you get a chance to try zelnorm? hopefully it'll work better than zelnorm--resolor is similar but not identical to zelnorm so that gives me hope since zelnorm never worked consistently well for me.thanks so much for keeping us posted!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
resolor has had great success in the clinical trials. and it sounds like it works a lot like zelnorm. did you get a chance to try zelnorm? hopefully it'll work better than zelnorm--resolor is similar but not identical to zelnorm so that gives me hope since zelnorm never worked consistently well for me.
I've actually never heard of Zelnorm - would it go by another name over here?Thanks again for the enthusiasm, it's really perked me up.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.