Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been prescribed loperamide capsules these are apparantly good for keeping diaharea (probably spelt wrong lol) under control and since i took them it has been a lot better and im not running to the loo all the time, which is better than what im normally like, thing is with this medication it can make you very constipated so ill need to keep a check on this.Has anyone else had these tablets?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Jools! I have found Loperamide to be my saving grace as well. I have had IBS-D for the past year and a half. I use Loperamide almost on a daily basis (1-2 pills/day) and prophylactically, i.e. before a test, on vacation, eating out. It usually does the job and I have only experienced short-lived bouts of constipation after taking 4-5 pills/day, but to be totally honest, the constipation was a bit of a relief compared to the daily diarrhea. I have had a few instances of near-accidents even after taking the Loperamide, so go figure! Currently, I am trying to find a balance between my diet, fiber supplements, calcium supplements, and exercise to lessen the diarrhea and become less dependent on the loperamide, but I am still in the trial and error phase. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Jools! I have found Loperamide to be my saving grace as well. I have had IBS-D for the past year and a half. I use Loperamide almost on a daily basis (1-2 pills/day) and prophylactically, i.e. before a test, on vacation, eating out. It usually does the job and I have only experienced short-lived bouts of constipation after taking 4-5 pills/day, but to be totally honest, the constipation was a bit of a relief compared to the daily diarrhea. I have had a few instances of near-accidents even after taking the Loperamide, so go figure! Currently, I am trying to find a balance between my diet, fiber supplements, calcium supplements, and exercise to lessen the diarrhea and become less dependent on the loperamide, but I am still in the trial and error phase. Good luck!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to everyone for the comments on loperamide i have found that im not going to the loo all the time now
and thats a real advantage and as long as these tablets keep the "runs" away then im happy to take them.I have had a bit of constipation since i started taking this medication but its the lesser of two evils

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks to everyone for the comments on loperamide i have found that im not going to the loo all the time now
and thats a real advantage and as long as these tablets keep the "runs" away then im happy to take them.I have had a bit of constipation since i started taking this medication but its the lesser of two evils

·
Registered
169 Posts
hi, I started taking loperamide when my symptoms first started, the thing is however now every time I take it I have severe abdo. pain until it wears off, also the effect is not like it used to be.

·
Registered
169 Posts
hi, I started taking loperamide when my symptoms first started, the thing is however now every time I take it I have severe abdo. pain until it wears off, also the effect is not like it used to be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.