Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends........ I am lost!!! I am suffering with IBS for almost 5 years. Yet to get a doctor's confirmation on it. Every morning i would be afraid to go to work. Preparing myself takes 15 mins, but 1 hr++ to stuck my butt to the toilet bowl. Till this point, i am confused when do i really need to visit the toilet. It take 45mins drive to work. Most times driving to work, i will have the sudden urge to find a toilet. When i found one, i sat on the bowl but nothing came out and at times a lot. Really confused whether do i really need to poo or my brain is doing something funny.

Simple daily actions are a chore to me. I reduced going out which inturn i spent lesser time with my daughters and wife. Just changed a job, i try to avoid going overseas with my boss by giving excuses. But how much excuses can i give. I am afraid that i will lose my job. My job needs me to travel from Singapore (where i stay) to the West and also in Asia.

To make things worse, i am the sole bread winner in my family. Total of 2 daughters, wife, parents to feed and a house to pay mortgage. I am really losing myself, not able to excel at work. I am an extrovert, but due to IBS i am not sure about myself anymore. Anxiety becomes part of my life to live with.

Sorry for the nag, just wish to have a channel to voice my frustration out. No one understands IBS patients.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These were my symptoms for years.. explosive diarrhea, sometimes blood in the toilet, sometimes I would wipe and it was full of blood, sometimes rectum burning.. also burning/inflammation of the gut lining.. strong gut/penis pain that lasted 2-3 secs and would come and go, was it anxiety ? Maybe.. chronic headaches, stomach pains come and go..

It's your diet and lifestyle. The internet is full of negative/positive about any subject.. you don't know what's right and wrong anymore and it's hard to make a rational decision.

Doctors can't fix the underlying problem with the food guide & drugs.. there must be a way.. well there is a way but people don't believe it and rely on doctors to "fix it"

Non-acidic fruits is a good start like bananas, start slowly.. but your looking to eventually be 70-80% raw (mostly veggies & low/moderate fruits) , yes RAW it retains 100% of its nutrients.

When you eat anything cooked you lose tons of micronutrients/enzymes and those nutrients/enzymes is what your body needs to function properly and heal itself and cooked food is harder on your digestive system (overcooked ground beef is a good exemple)

Look up Dr. Michael Gerber, Dr. Josh Axe (the YouTube video below shows scientific facts with cell imaging of what it can do)

Benefits of eating a high raw diet:

- lowering inflammation
- improving digestion
- providing more dietary fiber
- improving heart health
- helping with optimal liver function
- preventing cancer
- preventing or treating constipation
- giving you more energy
- clearing up your skin
- preventing nutrient deficiencies
- lowering the amount of antinutrients and carcinogens in your diet
- helping you maintain a healthy body weight

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/draxe.com/raw-food-diet/amp/?client=ms-android-google

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you mean! It sounds like you need more insoluable fiber in your diet. Get the Metamucil capsules because the do not have the extra flavorings etc., start with 1 capsule 1/2 hour before each meal for 5 days and then try 2 capsules before a meal with a glass of water of course! Drink 3 quarts of water per day. The insoluable fiber will help to firm up the stool and then when you go..you will empty out more completely!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I yet to visit a Gastroenterologist. Have been taking probiotic pills for some time, no improvements. Can i ask, did you guys explain to your bosses on your IBS condition? Wonder will they accept it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sorry, illusion, but I disagree 100% with your suggestion of raw food. Raw food would kill me. If it works for you, great, but it's not good at all for me. I go with well-cooked vegetables, lean meats, few fruits and then the canned ones. Apples without peel is good, bananas are a definite no. I suggest a 'white' diet--white bread/potatoes/rice at first and then slowly add baked chicken or fish. Well cooked oats or cream of wheat. Watch out for fats. I agree with the soluble fiber, you get that from oats and apple pectin as well as metamucil. the insoluble fiber absorbs the fluids in the gut, expands the bowel walls gently, and its gelatinous texture helps move things along. When traveling, try to get your own foods instead of eating what others have prepared. You should be able to get canned veg & fruits, they even have chicken in a can now. Take immodium as needed. Also, tell your boss. You will be surprised at how many people are dealing with this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to say I also disagree with raw food. Food is heated up in the stomach to assist digestion, we naturally prefer hot food for this reason, and eating raw will simply create increased work for the digestive system.

Regarding the first post. I have been in this situation and now I am much much better. IBS is a symptom of the problem rather than the problem itself. Until the issues surrounding your lifestyle are resolved the IBS will not disappear IMHO. You sound under a lot of pressure and stress from being the sole breadwinner. Try to reduce your stress levels by actively reducing stress through exercise and relaxation techniques. I have suffered with IBS and I am sure this is stress related and initiated by stress. After that it is linked to certain foods, but reducing stress and tension will relax your gut and improve digestion, decrease stress and anxiety and reduce IBS effects. In the last month my IBS has reduced dramatically by 1) FODMAP diet 2) exercise 3) relaxation techniques.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello.... thanks for the responses and inputs..... yeah IBS differs from each individual. Some times really keep me wondering should create jobs meant for IBS sufferers......... like freelance programming.....
laugh.png

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had IBS for over 35 years. I raised a family, went on vacations and lived through a life in advertising in a huge agency with it (agency life is exactly like Mad Men represented it). It bothers me when people proclaim that they have the "answer." I know they have the best of intentions, but, as noted above, there are about as many solutions as there are people with the problem. I agree, IBS is a function of underlying issues...stress being a huge one in many cases, physical in others (bacteria, gall bladder problems, etc). While we search for our answers, we try to control the horrible symptoms: pain, embarrassment, etc. We often can't control our life style (we have to make a living and pay the bills) and, granted, IBS is sometimes controlled by diet, calcium supplements, etc. But I suggest that you don't rule out pharmaceutical support. After all, we are chemical beings. Each time a synapse fires in our bodies, it is a chemical discharge. You can add my suggestion to the many others...wait until Motofen is re-released in a month or two (hopefully) and try that. It worked for me. Best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.