Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the diets I have to follow--no gas, low acid, no wheat-- I have lost about 10 pounds and I hate it. I used to weigh about 99 lbs amost all my life. Then when I hit perimenopause (early 40) I gained some and felt good about myself at 116 lbs. I must admit that I ate alot of unhealthy but delicious pastry. Well, now with all the diet restrictions I've lost the weight again and back to little me (hitting 50 this year). Alot of my friends at menopause are complaining about weight gain, but not me. Has this happened to you??? I know there are a lot of fruits and vegetables to eat--but my stomach and intestines just can't handle too much at a time. Need advice! Want to gain just a little back!!Tania

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If you don't like the milky or high-protein supplements, you can try Polycose (also called maltodextrin or glucose polymers). It's a tasteless powder that dissolves in most drinks and soft foods like oatmeal or mashed potatoes. It is pure carbohydrate derived from cornstarch. It's only good as a calorie supplement though since it does not have significant fiber, vitamins, minerals or protein.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If you don't like the milky or high-protein supplements, you can try Polycose (also called maltodextrin or glucose polymers). It's a tasteless powder that dissolves in most drinks and soft foods like oatmeal or mashed potatoes. It is pure carbohydrate derived from cornstarch. It's only good as a calorie supplement though since it does not have significant fiber, vitamins, minerals or protein.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tania, I am in the same boat as you. I was a bean pole most of my life (5'4", 105 lbs). After menopause, I gained up to 127 and felt really good. Then I had to elimiate wheat from my diet and started losing the weight. I went down to 120 lbs really fast. Then I got pneumonia and had to take antibiotics which caused diarrhea and more weight loss. I currently weigh 114 lbs and am on another antibiotic that kills your appetite! I have some training in nutrition but dispite that I struggle to gain weight. Yes, I know it really upsets most people to hear that. But I know how awful it is to try to force food down when you don't want it. Or to be hungry and not be able to eat what's available at a luncheon or resturant. The only way I can hope to gain weight is to eat a lot of desserts. Of course, I have to cook them myself because the prepared ones have wheat. People suggest malts, ice cream, cheese, etc. but I can't eat those either. I am not familiar with the Polycose but it sounds promising. Redfern

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tania, I am in the same boat as you. I was a bean pole most of my life (5'4", 105 lbs). After menopause, I gained up to 127 and felt really good. Then I had to elimiate wheat from my diet and started losing the weight. I went down to 120 lbs really fast. Then I got pneumonia and had to take antibiotics which caused diarrhea and more weight loss. I currently weigh 114 lbs and am on another antibiotic that kills your appetite! I have some training in nutrition but dispite that I struggle to gain weight. Yes, I know it really upsets most people to hear that. But I know how awful it is to try to force food down when you don't want it. Or to be hungry and not be able to eat what's available at a luncheon or resturant. The only way I can hope to gain weight is to eat a lot of desserts. Of course, I have to cook them myself because the prepared ones have wheat. People suggest malts, ice cream, cheese, etc. but I can't eat those either. I am not familiar with the Polycose but it sounds promising. Redfern

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.