Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally withdrew from College. I even informed my teachers (Which I thought was really unecesssary), but I managed to follow each and every step this counsellor told me.Today was the day I met him, and what I heard was not at all positive. The reason I came to see him was because I am filing a petition for tuition refund. He told me that it is unlikely that I would receive a refund because of the school policy. I understand there are policies for refunds according to the date one has withdrew from that class and that certain people, unfortunately get sick during the semester. What I did not understand was that the school cannot make an exception to a certain sickness such as IBS. I just feel as if I'm getting robbed or something and it isn't even my money. It's my parent's money. He told me to expect a decline and when I get it, I should phone him so that I can petition to the Appeals commitee because I have a better chance over there. This is all too much for me.What do you guys think? Do you think the school system is fair for those who have these types of medical conditions? Because I'm basically losing One Thousand Dollars in Canadian. I just feel like giving up...

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
sorry you are having a hard time DR.. I hope someone (apart from me) can come on and offer you some answers and support..I can hardly rub my bum just now and im making less sense than normal.. good luck...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yep, I'm sorry too (don't really have any advice either) but I think that IBS should go down as a reasonable reason for withdrawing from classes and for the money to be refunded. It's not like you can help it, it's not a cold that is going to go away and my guess would be that if you had presented with chrone's or UC that you would be entitled to a refund. Hang in there, be prepared to appeal it and good luck (and try not to stress about it too much or your tummy will just get worse).

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would imagine a school refund due to illness would be similar to disability payment from an employer. You would need a doctor's determination that you are unable to attend. At least in the US, I know Canadian laws are somewhat different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.